Looking for Inexpensive, Fast Prime for a Crop-Sensor Body

samuel_lipoff

<p>I've been a Nikon shooter for 15+ years, with a cabinet full of Nikon glass, but I have a good friend who's a Canon shooter. She's quite talented, although she can only afford a Rebel XS and the kit lens.<br /><br />I am thinking of getting her a fast prime as a gift, but I don't see anything in the Canon line-up like the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 lens, which is $200.<br /><br />I am hoping to get as close as possible to the following criteria:<br /><br />- Focal length < 50mm (i.e. 35mm equivalent FOV < 75mm)<br />- Maximum aperture <= f/2<br />- Price < $250<br />- Relatively close focusing (i.e. reproduction ratio > 1:5)<br />- Autofocus<br /><br />Is such a thing possible? I don't mind going used or going to other brands if necessary, although I think I should stick with AF lenses.<br /><br />The 50/1.8 seems too long for general use on a crop-frame body. The Canon 28/2.8 is about the right price, but I was hoping for a faster lens. Is it well-regarded? The 35/2 seems about right in all technical respects but is a little more expensive than I'd like (over $100 more expensive than the Nikon equivalent, for example!). And even though it violates my first three criteria, a small part of me is considering the Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, since my friend takes lots of pictures of food. <br /><br />Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>The Canon 35/2.0 is your best choice for something faster. Some like the Sigma 30/1.4 but it's more than double your price limit and APS-C only. FF lenses on APS-C tend to vignette less and have better corners due to their larger image circle.</p>

<p>If she tends to shoot longer rather than shorter, the 50/1.8 is pretty good optically and cheap.</p>

<p>If you want to stay under $250 and 35mm or shorter, with AF and a new lens, the 28/2.8 is your best bet.</p>

<p>You might look at places like KEH for used EOS lenses</p>

<p>Your other options are used and/or manual focus lenses adapted to EOS, but then she'll have to use manual focus and manually set the aperture. Not really recommended if you can avoid it.</p>

<p>It may seem tacky to buy a used lens as a gift, but it would serve two purposes: 1) you'll be more likely to get a lens in your price range and 2) it will teach her a valuable lesson about not fearing to buy used lenses when she's ready and able to expand her lens kit. I know I certainly shied away from it initially, and I could have saved a lot of money if I had been able to get over my trepidation sooner.</p>

<p>First, I would talk her out of the older discontinued XS ! <strong>seriously</strong>. Look at a refurbished T2i (550D) at the Canon refurbish website - $500 (includes a warranty) or maybe an older 500D (T1i) or even an XSi (450D). <br>

For a crop sensor prime look at the Sigma 30mm 1.4 or maybe instead get her a flash</p>

<p> </p>

The other posters write words of wisdom.

I have only one thing to add: I really like my 28/2.8.

Small, inexpensive and pretty good optics

(Though creating cool blurs can only be done with objects that are close. Fortunately it focusses pretty close.)

All the best, Matthijs.

P.S. I use it on my XTi/400D and my 5D with equal pleasure.

<p>As the others say.<br /> I've had both the EF 28mm f/2.8 and the 35mm f/2. Both are excellent lenses and even f/2.8 is respectably fast on today's cameras.</p>

<p>For a longer reach, as Bob says, if she does not have the 50mm f/1.8, it is a superb short telephoto on an APS-C body and is the cheapest lens in cost, but certainly not in IQ, that Canon makes. For more money, a EF 50mm f/1.4 is a sweet lens.</p>

<p>Finally, despite the AF requirement -- if she does not mind shooting with manual focus and with stop-down to shoot, any of a large number of older non-AI Nikon lenses, M42 lenses, and pretty much everything but older Canon FD lenses will mount, focus to infinity, and meter TTL stopped down on a Canon EOS body. I have my Nikkor-S 55mm f/1.2 lens for super speed on my Canon cameras. I've seen it go on eBay for not a lot more than $200. :)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>First, I would talk her out of the older discontinued XS ! <strong></strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I strongly disagree with that - the<strong></strong>re is no point to replace a camera just because it's discontinued! I'm sure it can take still take pictures just as nice as any other newer or older camera can, provided it's used properly. A good photography course is almost always a better investment than a new camera.</p>