Looking for help cleaning up smoked-around lenses

<p>I picked up a nice $30 craigslist haul a few weeks ago - a Canon FTb with a 50mm 1.4 SSC lens, three Steinheil Cintagon lenses for an Argus C44 (35mm, 100mm, 50mm 1.9), Kodak folder, etc. - but they came from the home of a smoker. <br>

It doesn't seem to have impacted the Canon too much - the 50mm cleaned up nicely - but the Cintagon lenses all have what looks like a glaze of crud or residue on the outer surface of the front and rear elements that just doesn't want to clean off with alcohol or with my Zeiss wipes. <br>

Has anyone successfully battled this? Any suggestions for a (VERY) mild abrasive that might leave the coatings somewhat intact? Anything else that might work?<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>I use household Ammonia plus detergent or Hydrogen peroxide [50/50 mixed just before application]; it removes even the worst fungus. You may also try Windex like glass cleaners. They contain Ammonia. Ammonia is a good solvent and bleach, It won't corrode metal. However, be careful not to leave it for too long a time on painted surfaces. After using Ammonia clean with regular water. Best, sp.</p>

<p>I once bought a camera and lens from what was described as a "smoking house." What I found out when I got it was that was literally true. Apparently a house fire. Alcohol and naphtha (what else?) took it off the tars quite well. That's used <em>separately</em>, not as a witches brew, BTW. The camera worked as well as it ever had once it was clean.<br /> Like sp, and the father in <em>My Fat Greek Wedding</em>, I find Windex™-like stuff with ammonia works as a last ditch effort.</p>