Looking for enlarger column +/- holders

rajmohan.

<p>Hello folks,<br>

I'm looking for an enlarger column - I hope I'm using the correct term - essentially a flat board in which a metal column is affixed, with a provision on the column to mount a camera via its tripod socket. The purpose I intend for this is to mount my DSLR+macro lens on the column, place a lightbox on the base with film negatives (35mm, 6x45, 6x6 and 6x9) in holders, and to move the camera up/down depending on the negative size, and to digitally 'scan' the negatives. I've tried doing it with a tripod, but it is a painful process, and I think the column arrangement would work better for me.<br>

I'd be most grateful for any help/advice you could offer in terms of where I could get the column plus holders for 35mm, 6x45, 6x6 and 6x9 negatives. I'm in New York.<br>

Thank you,<br />Raj</p>

<p>Hi Raj!<br /> You do indeed need a copy stand. Be aware that several brands of enlarger are modular and can be converted into a copy stand very easily e.g. Meopta, Kaiser, ... There are many good solid stands available second-hand - some years ago I acquired a Nikon PF-4 stand in excellent condition as part of a job lot. This cost around $1300 new, I attempted to sell it on through contacts in the photographic trade, but the best offer was $75, so I kept it. Do not bother with cheap lightweight stands. Here are some recent selling prices:<br /> http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cameras-Photography/625/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=copy+stand&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=625&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=CT102ES&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1<br /> The pro answer to your problem is a Bowens Illumintran<br /> http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=Bowens+copy+stand&_sop=12&_sadis=15&_dmd=1&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=625&_stpos=CT102ES&_ipg=50&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XBowens+copier.TRS0&_nkw=Bowens+copier&_sacat=625<br /> As you can see, selling second-hand very cheap. You may otherwise have trouble finding a lightbox which has perfectly even illumination - the ones sold to view negatives and transparencies are not good enough for copying.</p>

I'm not sure the old Illumitran allows 6x9cm film to

be copied. It's a long time since I had my hands on

one, but IIRC the illuminated platform was only big

enough for 6x6 slides. The column is also a bit

short for copying large formats.

BTW. I have no problem getting even illumination with a simple sheet of opal perspex (plexiglass) behind a slide. Using flash or daylight as the light source. A 45 degree mirror behind the plastic diffuser would allow easy adaptation to vertical use.