Looking for chart that shows f-stop vs. shutter-speed

A few years back on PN, someone posted a matrix-style chart that showed the

relationship between f-stop and shutter speed. It was color coded so that you

could find a certain exposure and follow the diagnol line of that color to a

different f-stop or shutter speed that would give the same exposure.

I need this for training a few people at our studio and I've searched for it

high and low online and have found nothing. I'm not looking for the exposure

value (EV) charts... just the f-stop/shutter speed chart. Thanks if you can

help!

Jen

Mark, that's certainly got to be the most comprehensive and confusing info I've ever seen on the issue.

I remember having a guy who just graduated from 4 years of photography at college who was on a co-op with me for 2 weeks. That's the kind of stuff he had to memorize. The problem was that when we were on a wedding and I asked him for a light reading, he couldn't get it right. In 5 minutes I taught him the essentials and how to do synchro-sun, something even the prof couldn't do easily. KISS - (Keep it simple stupid) in case someone thinks I'm wierd, well maybe I am.

I don't understand the need for such a chart except while learning photography, and the chart should be in the text book or classroom.

To be able to take pictures in the field or studio, the photographer must understand this relationship at the most basic level. Otherwise how would you make choices about depth of field and exposure to control the appearance of the picture?

<Chas>

Charles- that's the whole point! The people I'm working with are just starting out and they are at the most basic level. They are assisting right now (in the sense of "hold the shim" or "I need a new battery") and want to learn, but this basic relationship is not sinking in just yet. I plan to go over the chart with them then take them outside and shoot with varying f-stops to illustrate the point.

Call me lazy, and I know making one would rather simple, but this one was rather well designed (I'm kind of weird about symmetry and things lining up in a document or chart, as it were) and I would sort of like to have it again. I grew attached to it... not for knowledge exactly... more as familiarity... I could accept another version, if it were pretty, too. :-}

Jen, when I'm asked about this, I usually respond with "what don't you understand about 1?" That usually cures the confusion. I used to pronounce the Motor City "Dee-troit" until a gal from that city told me "it's pronounced Duh-troit - I know you can say 'duh'". Cured me on the spot. Permanently. The method might seem blunt, but it sticks.

It's a simple 1:1 relationship - no chart needed. One f-stop change = one shutter speed change. For the same exposure, if one opens the diaphragm one f-stop, one raises the shutter speed one increment. Lower the shutter speed two increments, close the diaphragm two f-stops.

Assuming lenses and shutters work correctly, f8 on any lens = f8 on any other, so there's no compensation for lens changes. 1/250 sec. on one camera body = 1/250 sec. on another, so there's no compensation needed for body changes either (assuming the EI remains constant). I guess it's so simple that some folks try to read more into it and get confused.

Determining correct exposure, however, is a horse of an entirely different color...

• 5 months later...

Hi Jen Lambert is this what you are looking for? I am a newbie to this art and I wanted to find out how to learn exposure values a little easier too, I hope that this helps? I hope that your still reading this thread too, good luck with teching the newbies lord knows we are a dumb bunch lol!

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/exposure-stops-here.html

• 7 months later...
Thank you for this concise chart. I often have to shoot in low-light conditions and was considering a 50mm f1.4 lens for my rebel XT and wanted to know how much I would gain in shutter speed over the stock 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 and my Sigma 24-60mm f2.8 lenses. As a self-taught advanced-beginner, the interaction of non-linear f stop numbers and shutter speeds are not easy to fully visualize.

• 3 months later...