moon for these, which is what really matters. However, I think there's plenty

I can do better.

<p>

I welcome comments on the good, the bad, and the ugly: <a

href="http://www.mikesimonsphotography.com/weddings/julieeric1"> Julie & Eric

</a> <P>

Thanks, folks - <br>

-Mike

First image has a bad colorcast, shooting in RAW and using a gray card will fix that. The problem occurs in other images, but not as noticeably.

I prefer not see feet and legs cut off in full length shots, and it seems to me that there are too many tilted shots.

Shot #7945 is badly overexposed in the background and the subjects are still slightly underexposed -- it could use some flash fill and more DOF (nobody seems in focus).

Shot #8089 has the heads cut off. I understand the focus is on the littlest bridesmaid, but it's a distraction to me.

Shots #8376 and #8397 are off-centered and could benefit from an appropriate crop. The second one might have been better taken from a different angle (I would have moved to the right).

Shot #8416 is a gem.

Too many rear curtain flash sync shots from the reception.

Shot #8984 is badly out of focus.

It's just my layman's opinion, but I would give the overall job a C+.

Hi Mike,

Just looked at your gallery - personally I love the over saturated colours (I often stir in plenty of curve, add a pinch of saturation and blend a bit of contrast to get similiar results). You are getting a bit of white blow-out but thats more than a good compromise with the results you have achieved. I would consider using RAW also - this would help retain some of the detail in the images.

Personally I love slanty photos and don't worry too much if I chop off heads 'n' feet, then again thats why I'm probably an amateur and not a pro! ;)

More importantly I got a good feel of the day and enjoyed the photos.

They are also presented on an excellent site - god knows we see enough bad ones!

I wouldn't disagree with some of Anthony's observations but certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over them - everyone seems chuffed to bits and so they should be.

You get an "A" from me - keep up the great work.

j

Main thing that stands out is not watching the backgound enough. (Flag on golf course, lights on wall on top of peoples heads, etc.). Also, I see a lot of shots futher away, medium distance, and fisheye (too many), but not a lot at a medium-tele distance, say waist up on a vertical. I would say get tighter on some more, be it just getting phsically closer to fill the frame, or using a bit more of a telephoto lens.

I personally don't like over-saturated, overly punchy photos with dark edges on them. I prefer natural skin tones, and natural contrast and saturation- but that's just me.

I think you show great promise and am glad you are taking the time to learn more. There are many different styles people like on this site. It's good to take in all, because wedding clients are all not the same.

Hi Mike,

I think that overall, your composition is pretty good. I loved some of the ceremony shots, but especially liked the party ones. I know that there are a lot rear curtain sync shots, but I think it's good to have a variety from which to choose. They'll choose the ones that they like. As long as you included alternative lighting shots, I think this is fine.

For me, some of the shots just aren't as crisp as I would like. This is something that I'm also working on. I shot my 5th wedding yesterday, and definitely focused on focus (hah!) so that I'd get really crisp shots. I also like tilting, but have realized (after yesterday's wedding) that it's easy to get carried away with.

Overall- well done.

Shelli

Keep studying. Think beyond the subject, theres lost of distractions. A photo that really bothered me was the cute flower girl. Nice pic, but the bridesmaides heads were all cut off.

Lighting was good on some of the group shots but the sun was hitting others in the faces, blowing out the faces. Find shade or find where the sun isn't hitting the faces.

Yout indoor church shots were very nice. Good job on those. Keep reading a lot and take some lighting classes at a local college or another good pro in your area. You have a chance to be a good photographer with some good teachers to guide you.

Lighting is not easy. I actually photogragh everyday for practice for at least an hour, unless I'm working.

Mike I think you do well with your photos. I would say tone down the post processing as well. Less curves, less contrast, do you have a zoom lens? I didnt see very many close ups? I like to see a balance, and I saw a lot of wide shots, even with the bride and groom, a lot of far away shots, with less emotion, but it does show time and place, and you do well with capturing others in the wedding!!! At times I wondered why your pictures appear underexposed, but as Paul said, thats your style! You made them that way. You do very well with the happy shots. (smiling laughing) Good mix of angles as well! Hope you agree with some of whats said. Best of luck! :-)