Looking for an Ultra-Wide prime lens.

matthew_roberts1

<p>

<p>Hi Everyone!</p>

<p>I am looking for a sub 24mm for shooting real estate (indoors), small spaces, bedrooms, bathrooms etc.</p>

<p>I have a D700, 24-70, 50 1.4, 70-300VR, SB900. My 24-70 is attached 95% of the time.</p>

<p>I don't want to go all-out and buy the 14-24mm because I cannot justify the cost when I won't be using it that often. Also, a small prime will be easy to add to my already busy lowepro backpack.</p>

<p>Thank you all in advance!</p>

<p>Matt</p>

</p>

<p>The Nikon 18/3.5 Ais is small by todays standards, and would certainly generate acceptable images for real estate work(small to medium repro, web, etc). Other than that, Luis has the right idea: look at the various Tokina, Sigma, Tamron, etc primes...especially used...<em>especially</em> used AND returnable.</p>

<p>Nikon 14/2.8 - but you are probably better off getting the 14-24 instead<br>

http://www.adorama.com/NK1428AFDU.html<br>

Nikon 18/2.8 - you might be able to find one used; the lens doesn't have a stellar reputation though<br>

Zeiss Distagon 18/3.5 - manual focus<br>

Leica Elmarit 19/2.8 - need the leitax F-mount to fit it to your D700</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I was just reading along....toying with the idea of a 'real' wide angle for my D700 so long. I have two zooms to schlepp around already, and don't want a third one (albeit the 14-24 is veeeerrry tempting...)</p>

<p>Dieter, thank you so much for the hint about the Zeiss Distagon. It completely slipped my mind. I must say that, if I do landscapes, I take the time to focus, the same goes for architecture. Sometimes manual focus is not that much of a problem.</p>

<p>Voigtländer 20/3.5, tiny, can be bought as new, doesn't cost too much, high image quality. You'll have to correct the distortion, but you'll have to do it with any nikkor prime that wide anyway.<br>

A surprise option: the upcoming samyang 14/2.8. Probably not top notch but not bad either. Should be quite reasonably priced.</p>

<p>Small and light equals a prime. I use the AIS Nikkors 20mm f2.8, 24mm f2.8, 28mm f2 and 35mm f2. Maybe not quite as good as the 17-35mm f2.8 Nikkor but I enjoy using them all with my D700. The extreme corners are soft wide open but get better when stopped down. Zeiss are much larger and heavier but read as very high quality. The Voigtlander is chipped which is nice if you use more than one AIS type lense. May be very close to the Nikkors for IQ. I have not used AF-D wides with my D700 but Bjorn is less happy with most of them.<br>

<a href="http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html">http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html</a></p>

<p>The Nikon 18-35mm is a very highly regarded lens for the price. It easily beats any of the old single focal lenses when it comes to image quality, especially those under 24mm. Since it's not a pro f2.8, it's not very heavy either. The Samyang sounds interesting, but I'll no doubt end up buying the 14-24mm f2.8 when the time comes. I do use ultrawide quite a bit and won't compromise.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>