Looking for an intermediate range lense

graskett

I shoot with a 30D and an XTi as a backup. My lenses include a Canon 17-40mm L

f/4, a Canon 100mm macro and a 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS. My photo preference is

pretty wide open--landscapes, portraits, weddings etc. I'm looking for an

intermediate range zoom with a fixed apature-f/2.8 preferably. I prefer to use

Canon glass but there just isn't anything out there that fits this range. I've

only found 2--Sigma APO 50-150 f/2.8 EX and the Tokina AF 50-135mm f2.8.

Can anyone tell me about these lenses? IQ?

Well, you have a gap from 40-70mm, and there isn't a 40-70mm lens, but lenses like the EF 24-70mm f2.8 L, EF 24-105mm f4 IS L, and even the EFs 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS would fill the gap handsomely. There are probably quite a few third party options as well.

The Sigma and Tokina lenses you are looking at overlap with your current lenses on the tele end, while the lenses I suggested overlap on the wide angle end. In my experience the latter would be preferable, since it is very inconvenient to have the change over from one lens to another around 50mm. A break right in the standard lens range necessitates more lens swapping that most people are willing to put up with.

You don't mention any Canon prime lenses as a possibility. Of course, people raised on zooms rarely do. The 50 1.4 would fit nicely between the 17-40 and the 70-200 especially as a portrait lens on your cropped sensor bodies. If you need a change of perspective while using it you could (gasp!) zoom with your feet. It sounds weird I know but, it can be done. Good luck.

>>> Sigma APO 50-150 f/2.8 EX and the Tokina AF 50-135mm f2.8. Can anyone tell me about these lenses? IQ? <<<

I cannot comment on the quality of these lenses, I have used neither. However, I understand that both are `dedicated` lenses, only working on an APS-C body: more to that later..

>>> preference is pretty wide open--landscapes, portraits, weddings(. . . ) an intermediate range zoom with a fixed apature-f/2.8 preferably (. . . ) prefer Canon glass ( . . . ) there just isn't anything out there that fits this range. <<<

Consider thinking down board and looking at the problem a different way:

Get the EF 24mm to 70mmF2.8L USM, work to sell the EF17mm to 40mmF4lUSM and replace it with the 16mm to 35mmF2.8LMkIIUSM.

The gains are: F2.8 from 16 to 200; 1mm wider; more logical FL overlaps for both APS-C and 135 formats; integrated zoom system aof lenses compatible with all body formats (see point above).

And most importantly, a zoom system which suits every criterion articulated in the OP.

WW

Like the others, it seems to me that the 24-70/2.8L is the perfect candidate for what you are looking for. It's my mid-range zoom & spends the majority of its time on my 20D.

If you decide to swap out the 17-40 for a wider lens, I'd say look more at the Canon 10-22/3.5-4.5 or Tokina 12-24/4. I have the latter & that combined with the 24-70 and my 70-200/2.8L makes a nice 3-lens kit covering most of my needs.