Looking for an E-TTL off-camera cord

Gerry Whitmarsh

Hi,

I am looking for an off-camera TTL cord for my 5D Mk4. I bought a cheap one from Amazon – a Kesoto for Canon DSLRs, but it doesn’t work on my Mk4 + 580 EX ll. It triggers the flash ok, but no E-TTL. I have searched the Internet, but they all seem to be for the 5D1, 2 or 3. Can anyone recommend one that works, with E-TTL, for the Mk4 before I make another dud purchase?

Thanks.

I was under the impression that all E-TTL cables use the same wiring layout, which is usable on both Canon & Pentax DSLRs. (Pentax call their system P-TTL but the contact locations appear to be the same)

I've brought several E-TTL cables over the years for my Pentax bodies. I remember finding that I couldn't get them to work daisy chained to make a longer cable but all of mine have worked individually even though most were only described as 'for Canon E-TTL'.

I would expect your problems are due to a broken wire or dirty/poor contacts, rather than a different wiring requirement. If the cable is faulty you should be able to return it for a refund, but if the price of the cables I brought is anything to go by it may not be worth the hassle.

Apparently all Canon cameras since 2004 have used E-TTL II, rather than just E-TTL but my experiences would have been about 10 years after this!

B&H, Allen's Camera in Levittown, PA, New York Camera and Video in Southampton PA, Samy's Camera in Los Angeles CA are all legit Canon Dealers that you could order one from. I have done business with all of them. You may also consider wireless options. I have a genuine Canon cable. Then switched to remote triggers. Edited by Mark Keefer
Cheers, Mark

B&H, Allen's Camera in Levittown, PA, New York Camera and Video in Southampton PA, Samy's Camera in Los Angeles CA are all legit Canon Dealers that you could order one from. I have done business with all of them. You may also consider wireless options. I have a genuine Canon cable. Then switched to remote triggers.

Hi Mark,

I have already bought a used (as new) OC-E3 here in the Netherlands and it works fine. I have metered the Kesoto and all the pins have continuity, so I guess the alignment is just a tad off.

Cheers, Gerry.

Hi Mark,

I have already bought a used (as new) OC-E3 here in the Netherlands and it works fine. I have metered the Kesoto and all the pins have continuity, so I guess the alignment is just a tad off.

Cheers, Gerry.

Maybe a pin isn't touching, hard to say. Good luck.

Cheers, Mark