Looking for A: Photographer's Notebook

<p>Hello</p>

<p>I'm looking for a small notebook to jot down info about my images: F/stop, Aperture, exposure compensatiion choices, and general notes about each image.</p>

<p>Is there a company that makes a specific notebook for photographers?</p>

<p>I want a notebook that has a specific layout and spaces for my entries; a notebook that already has things like: F/stop, aperture, etc... Marked on the pages.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p> </p>

<p>In archaeology, it's critical to keep track of images with a written record of such information. We always printed up our own forms in the order and with the information we wanted. I don't have an example handy to show, but it was just rows and columns.<br>

Of course, these were on normal typing paper size and punched for loose leaf notebooks, but you could print (+Xerox, whatever at your local 'qwikprint') off your own, assemble them into a folded page booklet. staple, and you've got just what YOU want. Try using a form for a little while before settling on a final format and reproducing it in volume.</p>

<p>I use a Reporter's Notebook, made by Tops under catalog number 8030 (and perhaps others).</p>

<p>It looks just like a stenographer's notebook, but only half as wide.</p>

<p>Shooting jackets have an inside pocket to carry it, protected from the weather.</p>

<p>You can get them from Amazon.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>The nearest I came to that system was when I put notes on the top of the sheet or on the cardboard cover of negative sheets. I would list the film, EI , the developer, dilution, time and temperature, place, month and year. If I was doing some kind of experimenting I would list the camera. Now that digital cameras keep track of a lot of information, no one seems interested in it any more.</p>

<p>If you want to hack a notebook of your own, I would use a Filofax Personal binder, and print out forms from this site: <a href="http://philofaxy.blogspot.com/p/files.html">http://philofaxy.blogspot.com/p/files.html</a> and find Photography Exposure Record (Note: Last time I looked this was a free site, and I have no connection with this site) Maybe this is something for you as well?</p>

<p>I highly recommend the notebooks made by rite in the rain. At one time, there was a spiral notebook for photographers that had exposure columns, etc., but I have not seen it in a while. Here is what I recommend:<br>

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/sid=101787/pid=45066/Product/Rite-In-The-Rain-Green-3-5-x-6-Memo-Book?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&mc_id=s8000&gdftrk=gdfV21820_a_7c291_a_7c3470_a_7c749013343_d_749013343_d_5515</p>

<p>google "photo exposure record" and you'll get some nice hits. And by the way, I checked and the filoflex page is still there and is another nice option.</p>

<p>Sadly, I also looked for the old Zone VI Field Data exposure notebook and couldn't find any except old copies going for high prices.</p>

<p>You could also check out Ansel Adams's offering in "The Negative". It's got a great layout and is free to copy (he offered it up for copying, right there in the book).</p>