no idea what exactly... Should it be something like Nikkor 55mm f3.5

or 55mm f.2.8 or 105mm f2.8 or 60mm f2.8... I am just lost,.. or

could be something of the Sigma macro line. I should mention that I

am pretty much new to the macro aspect of shoting, so I would

appreciate any help on this topic. I am very limited financially, I

like photography, but, behold, sucks not having money, so it is

another whole issue, what kind of deal can I get with my skiny

wallet, or can I... :-(

Thanks a lot, any comments and tips are appreciated<div>003wZe-9990584.thumb.jpg.12f00754812caa6588e3d8fb2a095de9.jpg</div>

On the one hand, I shoot manual focus Nikons, so everything I have to say is irrelevant with respect to your AF babies. On the other hand, I've had/still have all of the manual MicroNikkors. Namely, have had two 55/3.5s, still have a 55/2.8, had a 105/4, have a 105/2.8, had a 200/4, still have another 200/4.

For all 'round practicality, the 105s win. On sober reflection, the 105/4 has a few advantages over the /2.8, mainly fixed focal length; the /2.8 shortens as it focuses closer.

Auto focus makes little sense in macro work, so you don't really need to buy an AF macro lens.

Cheers,

Dan

Dmitri,

The cheapest and arguably best way to good macro work is using a normal lens on a extension tube or bellow. I bought a mint 55/3.5 AI Nikkor last week(i have first and the second version already), needless to say im crazy about that lens. Ive used the 50mm/2.0 nikkor with bellow which was about $40 for the ai'ed 50mm lens and $100 for the Nikon bellow, and had good results. Dont forget you need AI lens/tube/bellow or you will damage your N6006/N8008. You can use any standard or tele prime by the way. An AI 55/3.5(or 55/2.8) with matching tube will run you up to $200-300 in used condition. If you have a suitable prime, you can get a tubeset for $20 and start from there.

Greetings,

I would agree that an autofocus lens offers little to zero advantage in macro photography. I'd get a used manual focus macro lens in the 90-105mm category. I think that the Tamron 90mm f2.5 MF lens can be easily found on ebay in great shape for $150-200 with a Nikon AI mount adapter, and it's a great lens - in the same class as the Micro-Nikkors for optical and mechanical quality (I wouldn't say that about current AF macro zoom lenses from any 3rd party vendor)

The 55mm Micro Nikkors are also great lenses, but I find that I use them more for close-up than for ULTRA close up, because 55mm focal length requires one to get too close to the subject for REALLY close work, so the 90-105 lenses are much better in that regard, with the Tamron 90mm MF being the best value of the several excellent quality choices that are out there.