Looking for a good mat cutter

<p>Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent mat cutter? I want it to be able to handle full size sheets? I have a fairly cheap Logan cutter now, but it won't take full sheets and I have a hard time keeping the cuts straight near the corners. I know a lot of it may just be technique, which I haven't yet mastered. I'm not looking to spend $10,000 for one, but possibly up to $500. I did see the Logan 450-1 at our local arts and craft shop that sells for $200. But I would be willing to spend a little more if there is something better out there. Thanks.</p>

<p>In your price range the Logan units are what I recommend. I just imported a 760-1 into Canada from bhphotovideo.com. Don't expect their glass cutting tool to be useful. I am a little ticked that the squaring arm is not square, but now that I have gotten used to it, it works fine.</p>

<p>Once I set the knife depth on the bevel cutter correctly and learned where exactly to start and end the bevel cuts my mats were perfect. So far I've done over twenty from 16" x 16" to 28" x 38."</p>

<p>I got the 760 because I may want to go up to 40" x 60" boards. Get the size large enough for what you want.</p>

<p>Logan also makes some great tools for wood framing as well.</p>

<p>Thanks for your help. After posting my question I started looking at the other Logan models. I'm liking the 650-1. Although it's more expensive than I was hoping, when I think about how much cameras cost and how quickly we replace them, it's not so bad. I'm hoping a good mat cutter will give me 15-20 years of moderate use. What I'm wanting to get into is matting, framing, and selling some of my work.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I would also consider Fletcher if you have the wall space and want to save tabletop space.. The top of the line is expensive, but there are other models that I think would fit your price range. When you say full sheet, the 60" model will take the 4x8 sheet on the shorter side.<br>

I used to have a table top Logan. Once you use a wall mount, you wonder how you put up with it, even if it cost some more. You can find clean top of the line used ones for under $1K.</p>

<p>I've had a Logan 650 for a number of years and have been very happy with it. Adding the arm when cutting full size mat boards is sometimes a nuisance but the alternative of the extra space required if it was on all the time is worth it.</p>