looking for a good lens for n-90

megan_sakley

hello,

I just got the n-90 and am looking for a good lens. I have a

quantaray 100-300, but need a smaller lens. I don't know that I can

afford a nikon lens, but if it's necessary-I'll try.

So I'm wondering about the quality of Tamron, Sigma, Quantary or any

others. I'd like to get a zoom from around 28 to 70 (or higher).

I've seen some that are less expensive, but only have f4 to f5.6 or

something similar. All of my previous cameras have had from 2.8 to

22. I don't know alot about lenses yet, so please let me know what

you think. Thanks for your help.

Look around for a Nikkor AF 35-70 f/2.8D

Since the introduction of the 28-80/2.8, the prices have come down to the $300 level on the used market. The 35-70 is a probably the sharpest zoom Nikon has ever made. Otherwise, I'd say start with a fixed focal length prime lens like 35mm or 50mm.

Megan,

I'll join Mike Kovacs in recommending the 35-70mm f/2.8 AF-D. I just checked the KEH web site and found that they are selling the AF-D version of this lens for $449.00 and the non-D version for $399.00, both are rated "Excellent". The prices at KEH may be higher than those of some used dealers, but the DO have a good reputation for accurately rating their used equipment.

Unless you plan to do a lot of flash photography, the non-D version may be a better buy. All the D chip gets you is distance information that is used in automated flash exposure settings.

Two additional lenses that would be worth consideration are the 24-85mm f/2.8~4 AF-D and the 28-105mm f/3.5~4.5 AF-D. Both are good choices for general shooting. The 28-105mm is a bit less expensive and has a better reputation.

Do you expect to make much use of either Manual or Aperture Priority exposure modes? If so, avoid any of the G lenses. They lack an aperture ring and will be useless on your N90 for Manual and Aperture Priority modes. They will work fine in Shutter Priority and the various Program exposure modes.

Even if you don't plan to use Manual exposure on a regular basis, keep in mind that Manual exposure is best for studio work.

I hope this helps.

Vernon

<i>...So I'm wondering about the quality of Tamron, Sigma, Quantary or any others.</i><p>

These are what are called third party lenses (lenses not manufactured by the camera manufacturer). I never recommend third party lenses mainly because of compatibility issues but quality certainly is a reason also. If you want a lens that will work well and be worth the money you paid get a decent lens from Nikon. <p>

I would recommend the 28-105, f/3.5-4.5 for it's quality, performance and bang for the buck. Even though I have other ED glass, I still find myself using this lens quite often. If you are only going to have one lens this should be it.

Thanks for all of your responses. It is very helpful. I do shoot in manual mode alot so now I know to avoid the g-series. I also know now to get a nikon.

One thing that I'm still not sure of is if it is more limiting to only have a few f-stops like alot of those lenses do (like having to use a tripod more or losing some depth of field).

Thanks again for all of your quick and helpful responses. megan

Megan,

When I listed my 70-300mm with an aperture of 4~5.6, it was to indicate that it has a variable aperture. The actual aperture range is from f/4 to f/32 at the wide (70mm) end and from f/5.6 to f/45 at the long (300mm) end.

The aperture range for my 35-70mm lens is from f/2.8 to f/22. Since it has a constant aperture, the range is the same at both ends of the focal length range.

Lenses are listed with the widest aperture they are capable or. Usually, the only time a lens is listed with more that one f-stop is when the lens is a variable aperture design. Constant aperture lenses are usually listed with their maximum (f/2.8 for my 35-70mm) aperture.

When you shoot with the lens fully stopped down (at the minimum aperture), image quality will suffer due to refraction. The larger the f-stop number (f/22 for example) the smaller the aperture.

Most of the lenses mentioned in this thread will stop down to f/22, some will stop down as far as f/45 (my 70-300mm at 300mm).

I hope this helps.

Vernon

• 2 years later...