Looking For A 3\8 To 1\4 Adapter Stud\Plate

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jimvanson, Dec 18, 2008.

  1. Looking For A Linhof Small Top Plate 42 Or Similar
    I need an adapter type stud\plate to go from my Linhof Ball Head’s 3\8 -16 female to my quick release 1\4-20 female.
    I found a cheaply produced ($20!) one that stripped as I was finger tightening it.
    I believe Linhof makes a plate with a male 3\8 on one face & a male 1\4 on its other face.
    I placed a WTB in the PhotoNet Classifieds for one.
    Does anyone know of something else I could use?
  2. I might be wrong but Gitzo "HAD" something similiar in the last century, give them a try through Bogen.
  3. Thanks for the responces guys -- I really appreciate your taking the time to help me out!
    I've got good news -- I think one of the other board members is going to sell me a 70mm version of the Linhof Plate shown above.
    Best to you.above
  4. You could use a 3/8" to 1/4" reducing bushing in the 3/8-16 hole. Any photo shop should have brass bushings, and you can purchase stainless steel bushings from http://reallyrightstuff.com. You would then use a 1/4-20 stud (you could use a long set screw, which gives you a hex socket to keep it from turning). Another alternative is a head-mounting stud from Gitzo, which is 3/8-16 for most of its length with one end reduced to 1/4-20. The material appears to be chrome plated brass. The advantage of these methods is that the QR adapter is mounted flush on the head, which is probably more solid.
    Another alternative is to drill and tap the QR adapter for 3/8-16. This would be my choice, since 1/4" is kind of wimpy for mounting a head, and definitely not the most common thread for that purpose.

Share This Page