Looking for a 2-way focus rail

Discussion in 'Macro' started by photo_galleries, Dec 18, 2017.

1. My needs:
    • Heaviest load will be a D800e and SIgma 150mm/2.8 plus, on occasion, a pair of Nikon RB-200 macro flash heads
    • I would like to mount the rail on a large ballhead, all of which will be supported by a sturdy tripod
    • 2 way (fore/aft) only. I don't need a 4-way rail.
    • Tight tolerances with precise movements. I do NOT need speed.
    • I want to stay under $150 so the RRS and Kirk rails are out.
    • Probably around 150mm to 180mm in overall length
    • As lightweight as possible but still be able to meet the above.
    I know. I don't ask for much, do I?

Your recommendations?

Thanks,
    Keith

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  2. Just ordered a Sunwayfoto MFR-150S

3. Do not fail to look at used items that appear sometimes on KEH and eBay. Minolta and Pentaz made some good ones. I use a used Novoflex that has good machining. Even a Manfrotto slider rail is a possibility.

4. Thanks Gerry. Yeah, I did look through ebay, keh, craigslist, facebook marketplace and other online shops. I also viewed at least a dozen You Tube videos.The old Pentax rails looked interesting as did the Manfrotto. In the end though, there seemed to be a lot of praise for the Sunwayfoto.

Thanks,
    Keith

5. After you use the rail it would be nice to hear how you like it. Do us all a favor and give it a review right here. Folks will benefit from your hands on experience. I have one piece of Sunwayfoto gear ( a round quick release) and it has proven to be a competent tool. I hope you have a good experience with the rail. Cheers.

photo_galleries likes this.
  6. Will do.

7. I got a 4-way for my wife.
    I did not want the L/R + F/B hassle of moving the tripod for a "minor" adjustment.
    I also have an old Spiratone 2-way, that I got first, but never used before I got the 4-way.