Looking at a Nikkor 20mm f2.8 AF

clark_roberts

Hi all,

I found a great deal on a Nikon D2X camera, for what I paid for it and it's

condition (new) I really like it. so here's my question, I want to get a 20mm for

it, is there a picture difference between the "D" version or the early non-"D"

version. I know the "D" measure the flash distance but is there a difference

in picture quality?

Hi all,

I found a great deal on a Nikon D2X camera, for what I paid for it and it's

condition (new) I really like it. so here's my question, I want to get a 20mm for

it, is there a picture difference between the "D" version or the early non-"D"

version. I know the "D" measure the flash distance but is there a difference

in picture quality?

I used to have the 20mm/f2.8 AF lens, with screwdriver AF. The subsequent AF-D version has identical optics.

As already said: Same optical design in both AF versions and, I believe, same as the Ai-s manual focus version.

Any of them will be fine on an undemanding D2X, but you can pick up unwanted used 18-55mm kit zooms very cheaply. A couple of mm difference in focal length at the short end makes a big difference in angle-of-view.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

Clark, Sorry I don't have a non D version but www.photosynthesis.co.nz shows both versions to have the same optical formula.

I just put my now seldom used D version 20mm f2.8 on my now seldom used D2x as I have many times. It works great but is a little noisy at first until I focused and refocused with it a couple times. As far as image quality the Nikkor 20mm f2.8 is very good in the center though some of the "kit" lenses that Rodeo mentioned are very good if not better. Sorry I can't do that to my pro level camera. It's my baby and God would punish me. Your shooting through the center of a Fx type lens with a Dx sensor though neither had that designation when they were built. I love my D2x even though it was built at a time when I felt that Nikon placed construction quality over innovation. Its image quality was never competitive with the full frame Canon dslrs of its era. I still use mine underwater and for some copy work. All-in-all I think you will be very happy with the combination. Mean while my D3200 that has better image quality gets to sit in the back of a hot pick up truck in the summer in Florida. There is no justice. Good hunting.

• Like 1

Clark, Sorry I don't have a non D version but www.photosynthesis.co.nz shows both versions to have the same optical formula.

I just put my now seldom used D version 20mm f2.8 on my now seldom used D2x as I have many times. It works great but is a little noisy at first until I focused and refocused with it a couple times. As far as image quality the Nikkor 20mm f2.8 is very good in the center though some of the "kit" lenses that Rodeo mentioned are very good if not better. Sorry I can't do that to my pro level camera. It's my baby and God would punish me. Your shooting through the center of a Fx type lens with a Dx sensor though neither had that designation when they were built. I love my D2x even though it was built at a time when I felt that Nikon placed construction quality over innovation. Its image quality was never competitive with the full frame Canon dslrs of its era. I still use mine underwater and for some copy work. All-in-all I think you will be very happy with the combination. Mean while my D3200 that has better image quality gets to sit in the back of a hot pick up truck in the summer in Florida. There is no justice. Good hunting.

I have used a Canon 5D Mark1 (which I still own) but I wanted a better flash system which I think the Nikon has and alway's will. I did a job with it

Canon 5D, portraits indoor's but something happen and I wound up outside taking pictures with a flash and the Canon had a hard time with it and when

I printed it it was a beast to do. So I'm hoping the Nikon will be better, even if the Nikon is a older model it might excel in what I want.

Clark, I was always very jealous of the 5D Mark 1 users and of Canon film cameras. The 5D Mark 1 seemed to have better everything and Nikons answer to it was the D2xs that was hardly an improvement on the D2x and with virtually no improvement in image quality. Prior to his death Galen Rowell had always touted Nikons durability and I read an article from the late Michael Reichman discussing all the problems folks were having with the Canons in Antarctica and that the Nikon D700 s worked comparatively well. As well one year I was at Bosque del Apache and the gentleman shooting next to me had the mirror pop out of his 5D while we were shooting. I felt terrible for him. So for me the trade off early on has been durability. And my D2x has certainly been proof. I hope you have many years of good use of the D2x. Mine has not shown much wear and tear though the older controls sometimes trick me if I have been using a more current model Nikon. I like the way I can pull my D2x out and it shoots as well as the day I bought it. I don't think the D2x will let you down. On a different note I have completely and happily changed over to manual strobe settings and cheap electronic triggers. I have heard that Canon has fixed a lot of their strobe problems though both the Nikon and Canon speed lights are top dollar. So you pay a lot either way. Good hunting.
  • Like 1

I have had D810's for a while now, but have never been entirely happy with the JPGs (raw is just fine). Somehow I just have never found a good combo of picture controls that worked for me like in the D800 and other cameras I had previously. I had a D4 for a few days to compare, the JPGs looked good buy maybe too good. So, I picked up an inexpensive D2xs recently and compared output in some daylight and shade scenes at ISO's that the D2xs could handle. After a few tweaks to the D810 PC settings, I am now much happier with the D810 JPGs that are for sure better than what the D2Xs could generate, but the point of all of this verbiage is that the D2Xs did generate some nice looking images.

I had a 20/2.8 non-D a while back that did not seem very good near 2.8. I have a beater 20/2.8D now, but almost always use my 17-35/2.8 instead, I think is a good bit better. So, I am in agreement with the opinions above, the OP is probably better off with a good DX zoom than a 20/2.8 that typically sells for too much $ given the lens' performance.

I am actually thinking about getting an inexpensive zoom for the D2xs. I had an 18-70 that came with the D70 I bought new a while back. Always thought that was a good lens, leaning towards one of those. The 2nd version 18-55 VR has a good reputation, also. I have read that the 18-140VR is good, but that is too large and more $ for what I have in mind. Any opinions? Right now the only DX lens I have is the very good 35/1.8DX, but that is a little long for my tastes.

Edited by robert_bouknight|1

I purchased a 20mm 2.8d off ebay and the seller said the rear element had a few scratches but to my surprise with the

flashlight test it was loaded with scratches. The same day I received it I asked for a refund, he's not happy but agreed

to a return and refund. In the mean time I picked up a mint 18-35mm 3.5-4.5d and so far I like it.

Back element scratches are kinda more important than front ones, you're right to get a refund.

I had this happen when I failed to fit a backcap properly and the exposed back element rubbed on something else in the bag during a hike. Most of the 'damage' was confined to coating marks, but it was a very sad moment when I opened the bag...:-(

Back element scratches are kinda more important than front ones, you're right to get a refund.

I had this happen when I failed to fit a backcap properly and the exposed back element rubbed on something else in the bag during a hike. Most of the 'damage' was confined to coating marks, but it was a very sad moment when I opened the bag...:-(

That hurt's when that happens.

Any lens, particularly a wide-angle, with a small rear element is going to have poor edge results with a digital body. A crop body is going to suffer more than a full-frame but both will work less well than the film bodies that these were designed for.

You may want to reconsider your choice.

• Like 1

[...] the point of all of this verbiage is that the D2Xs did generate some nice looking images.

Yup. Largely forgotten now, there was a time when the D2x was widely considered to have superb color output. When the D700 debuted, so many wedding photographers complained about the "different" color that Nikon had to release a D2x color profile patch users could download directly into their D700 picture control menu.

• Like 1

Yup. Largely forgotten now, there was a time when the D2x was widely considered to have superb color output. When the D700 debuted, so many wedding photographers complained about the "different" color that Nikon had to release a D2x color profile patch users could download directly into their D700 picture control menu.

Wow I haven't heard of that before thank you for letting me know that.I do like the color's of the D2x, I've been using a Fuji X-pro1 so much lately

that I've not used my Canon 5D model 1 at all full frame or not I kinda like the C or DX format.