looked at a Hexar RF kit today

I looked at a Konica Hexar RF, finally. It was "the kit," with a F2

lens. I guess the Canadian kit doesn't come with the F1.2 lens. What's

this lens like compared with the F2? Anyways, I was impressed. The

store chain is blowing them off for $2500 Canadian.

I wanted to look at a MP and perhaps a used CLE also, but this chain,

Lens & Shutter, don't deal with Leica cameras anymore. I was somewhat

shocked.

There are two versions of the RF: 1) standard kit comprising a velvet box, flash, 50/2.0

and the body; 2) a special edition titanium-colored RF marked "limited," a 50/1.2 and a

blue velvet box.

<P>

The limited edition costs almost twice the price of the regular.

<P>

The 1.2 is an amazing lens from what I've heard. No surprise, given how wonderful

Hexanon lenses are. Typically very sharp with lots of "personality."

Frank, if you are looking for a Hexar RF, and you live anywhere close to Calgary, check out The Camera Store. They are selling a demo Hexar RF kit that includes the 50, 28 and 90 for $3,200 CAN. You can see it online at www.thecamerastore.com under "clearance".

"Blowing them off for $2,500 CN"? That's US$2k! You should be able to find a nice lightly used Hexar RF for $6-800 and the 50/2 M-Hexanon for $300. $2k is crazy, IMO. I had a Hexar RF for a couple of years and it's a very nice camera, well worth any price south of $1k, IME.

The 50/2 is also very nice, a very close copy of a late-model summircon.

The 60/1.2 is a special, LE lens and NOT cheap. Highly regarded, but very specialized.

Thanks, I will.

The RF that I looked at was quite heavy, solid feeling and good craftmanship. The viewfinder was very large, which surprised me, but I found it difficult to focus with. I guess it's something you have to get used to. Another thing, I found the auto winder noisy, like it has a lot of horsepower.

You should be able to get a NEW unit for $600, the flash is expensive but works well for $200, the 50F2 for $300. I bought mine used including the flash for $550 in mint condition from a forum member. Works great, be sure to check that your Leica M lenses work correctly on it (focus), mine had to be aligned.

Yes the motor is noisy this can be "fixed" by using the "C" setting and only shooting of one frame instead of the "S" setting.