longevity of Velvia

<p>I have 6-7 rolls of Velvia, plus another 5 rolls of NPH, sealed in a plastic container in my refrigerator. The use-by date is 2004, and they've been in the fridge, sealed since before then. I want to get one of my old film cameras out and give it a whirl... is this film usable, or should I simply toss it and go buy some new stuff (though I'm not sure Fuji makes either of these any more)....</p>

<p>Give it a whorl.. just wish you had frozen them but worst that can happen is bad processing these days.... Any thing that seems off color in the slide can be corrected just like a negative except for deep shadows... that is if you scan them.... If you see blue in the shadows well....... read the last semi sentence. :) from the way you wrote this they are 35mm.</p>

<p>Can't say on Velvia, but I had some well-stored Provia that I used and developed about a year ago. It was dated 2001 (shot and developed in 2009), and it was just starting to turn. Some of it had a slight reddish cast. I would bet you might be good to go if you stored it well.</p>

<p>It has gone bad and needs to be disposed of in accordance with EPA regulations. Luckily for you, I offer the disposal service free of charge to photo.net members, so you should mail me all the film immediately. :)<br>

Your film should be fine if it has been kept cold. I am still using Velvia dated 1997 and 1998 with perfectly acceptable results (these were stored in my film freezer). And yes, Fuji still makes Velvia, three different emulsions actually.</p>

<p>Use the Velvia, toss and replace the NPH with fresh stuff. NPH was renamed Pro 400H a few years back. Even frozen, 400 speed neg film gets grainy, so if your shots have any meaning, get some fresh stuff. Grain will be much less pronounced, and smooth and creamy with fresh stuff.<br>

Slide however, especially the slow stuff, holds up extreemly well. I have 2004 Senia that has been frozen, and it still looks great.</p>

<p>I disagree. Film, regardless of speed, will last indefinitely if kept frozen. I have plenty of 400 speed film that has been in the freezer for 10 years and comes out great when I shoot it. Grain doesn't change. Your Velvia is fine.</p>

<p>I disagree that all film will last indefinitely. It may last a longer time but not indefinitely. I had some frozen EPR (Ektachrome 64) in large format sheets and it was dated 2006. I took some out for a shoot and it came back thin and lacking contrast. My sheets of Velvia that I used at the same time were fine. All developed at the same place at the same time so the EPR was most probably at fault. From that experience I am now trying to finish off my stash of frozen stuff first, regardless of how "rare" it is.</p>

<p>You can't expose film that came from the freezer until it is fully thawed. I suggest you leave your film out at room temperature for a day and then shoot. Film is a gelatin based material, it should always be refrigerated while stored, before and after the shoot. </p>