Long Distance, On-Camera Flash Gear

dan_brown4

I was at a dirt track race tonight, and there was a photographer shooting from the infield. He was shooting a Canon with a 70-200/2.8. He had a

an on-camera flash with a pretty big chrome dish reflector (maybe 8-10" in diameter). He was shooting the cars while racing, probably at

distance of up to 100 feet. I was wondering abut this set-up?

Norman & Quantum have a parobolic? tele photo reflector that is polished/chrome looking that is designed to through a beam

a great distance. I dont have the specs handy but it increased the guide number of the flash significantly. These are designed

for a quantum Q flash or Norman battery portable style flash head.

Wildlife shooters use these and there is also a thing called a better beamer that you can mount on a regular shoe flash that

concentrates a beam for longer distances.

With a dish reflector, even a 150 WS may not be enough at 100 feet, unless high ISO and wide open lens was used.

He must have had some flash effect in his pictures, or otherwise he would not be doing this? ... wait that statement was wrong,.. people do things sometimes regardless if it makes sense or not... as an example read post:

http://www.photo.net/photography-lighting-equipment-techniques-forum/00PvMD

• 3 months later...

From setup described - you have 3 possible main set-ups. (may be more) WS stands for Watt Seconds, your power.

These are used to throw a flash for longer distances. Photo example link below

these below all have round open bulb system - makes for beautiful light

1) quantum Q flash - big and bulky (complete auto, though) - limited to small 150 ws power

2) norman - 200 or 400 ws, set-up nice unit, all manual

3) lumedyne - standard pack 200 or 400 ws and can go up to 2400 ws (yes, that's putting the sun on your camera)

At 800ws on full you can feel the heat from flash and what a nice pop sound it makes.

The tele extender is a norman 8 inch reflector used by all. Comes with bulb extender as well.

For moving sports I carry a 400 or 800ws fast recycle pack when using a 300 or 400 2.8 lens (yes it gets heavy since I hand hold).

I attach the flash head to lens tripod collar with quick release.

With Norman and Lumedyne they are mostly manual flashes - MEANS ya gotta do some thinking.

Lumedyne has the new HAHM - which is an auto unit. Well semi auto, you still have some thinking to do but not as much.

I use Lumedyne and have since 1981 and love. Wish there was more portable setup for the days I feel lazy.

If you need any help - call my buddy DJ at Lumedyne (he actually owns the company). DJ is a super guy and for an owner - he actually

talks to his clients. Tell'em fotopete sent ya (800-LUMEDYNE).

PS: I have used all 3 systems listed above and also the older Sunpak 120J.

The Lumedyne is my personal preference.

http://fotopete.scpsoftware.net/longflash.jpg