Lomo'Instant Square

I backed this camera on Kickstarter a few months ago and this week my camera arrived. It's the first camera to use Fuji Instax Square film that has a glass lens to deliver an image to the film (the Fujifilm offering actually uses an embedded digital camera to capture the image and then prints from the digital image).

39711846372_6c7c13c300_c.jpgLomo'Instant Square

I like the square format of the picture, and the camera has a neat folding bellows style (reminding me of my old Ensign Selfix camera, the first one I ever used) with some discrete electronics and controls. An internal adaper allows Instax Mini film to be used to the same picture height in portrait format.

Here are a couple of sample pictures

39745106621_af5f867757_b.jpgOld High Street telephone box

39713570312_e31b0d9bbb_b.jpgSt Andrew's church tower

(Scanned to 300dpi on an Epson XP-645 printer/scanner, output as TIFF, and sharpened in Lightroom to 50.)

Very nice. But what makes this camera better than Fuji's Instax SQUARE SQ10?

I haven't used the Fuji camera, but my understanding is that it uses a digital sensor to capture the image and then makes a print from that digital image (or an edit of it). This is fine, but I am interested in the idea of the camera itself making the picture in the classic way. Whether it's better or not, I don't know, but if I want a digital printer using the square format then I think the SP-3 device would do the job better, for me.