Lomo LC-A problem in bright light conditions

I have a Lomo LC-A (with screen printed Lomo Boy) which works fine in fixed Aperture modes. In A

mode, when the light is not too bright, it works fine too. The problem appears when shooting in bright

light conditions. e.g. ISO 25 pointing to the sun or a bright light source or ISO 400 shooting open sky.

The shutter doesn't fire in these conditions. Yes, it clicks but looking from the back of the camera with

cover open, I don't see the shutter open at all. When pointing to less bright object, it works again. It

bothers me so much as I constantly get black frames (unexposed) now and then and I have no way to

tell when it is too bright (unless I test with a light meter). Is it something wrong with my camera or is it

just designed to be like this?

According to the online manual the least exposure you can give is 1/500 at f16 - and this is only borderline OK for 400ASA in full sun with no shade, so maybe it is designed this way - as a question are you getting black frames on the film or clear frames and black prints - or is it slide film?

If the shutter has not opened, but the film is able to be wound on a slide film would give you a black frame, but a nagative on print film would be clear.

Yes, clear on negative and black on slide. The shutter would not fire when it is too bright.

I know it has limitation, but would have thought it will overexpose when it is too bright.

Apparently the shutter does not fire when it is too bright in my camera (as checked by

looking through from behind shutter).

• 8 years later...

<p>Pardon me for resurrecting such an old thread. I have acquired a never used LC-A and I am experiencing the same problem. Turning the camera even at the sky away from the sun at ASA 400 makes it click without opening the shutter.<br>

I have fiddled with it for quite a bit and I have discovered that:<br>

- The LC-A does not have an exposure lock thing. Half press of the shutter button lights up the red led just for the battery check and nothing else.<br>

- Slowly pressing the shutter button may leave you with a never opened shutter, while briefly pressing it all the way down trips the shutter even when pointing the camera into the sun.<br>

I think that there is a design flaw at least for the early versions of the LC-A that affects the circuitry that holds the power required to open the shutter when the led comes up. </p>