Logged onto an old Paypal

nathan_hoefert

<p>Congratulations on your riches! Do you know what kind of camera your friend has, and what kind of thing they like shooting?<br />

<br />

If it's a digital camera and it's not a large one (that might take Compact Flash), my first suggestion would be an SD card. You can never have enough storage space, so it won't matter how many they've already got. Most other options - short of a magazine subscription or possibly a photography course - depend quite a lot on the type of camera.<br />

<br />

If you want to be slightly more esoteric, a Tamrac ZipShot (folding tripod) is exactly on your budget and can come in surprisingly handy. They're a bit overwhelmed by bigger cameras, but I've used one with quite a big system, carefully, and given its portability it was definitely better than nothing - for smaller cameras it's even better. DPReview.com has just reviewed one.<br />

<br />

I hope that helps.</p>

<p>Look at Porter's website (the Iowa outfit, <a href="http://www.porters.com/">link</a>) - They have all the little, still relatively inexpensive accessories that are so hard to find since Spiratone went out of business (e.g., clearance items at <a href="http://www.porters.com/clearance.html">link</a>).</p>

<p>I have no association with Porter's except as a usually "delighted to see that again" customer.<br>

If you like that sort of thing...</p>

<p>Phil: Oops. I should have thought of that. :-) (Starvy, you're welcome. Mine has successfully held a D800 + 14-24, although only after a long timed release so it stopped wobbling - as typical for these things, the head is the weakest link. A smaller camera would be fine on it, though. If you're interested in this kind of thing, also look at the Velbon VTP-777, which is an extremely neat bit of kit if you don't overload the head.)</p>