Locked CDs

t_farrell

I've been looking for a way of creating a locked CD to put preview

images on and cannot find how to do it. Does anyone have any info on

software?

Also - does anyone using this method find it a better way of

creating a preview album...?

If you have Photoshop, you can put a 'Texture' screen on each image: then save it at 40 or 50 dpi. The image will look OK on a monitor, but won't print very well. (The software for burning a CD on your computer should have a couple of choices: to make a CD readable on any other computer, or to make a CD that can 'add' files later.)

I use FlipAlbum Pro. It allows you to password lock, encrypt, and add and an expiration date. All these options are separate from one another, so you choose what you want. Images can not be copied from this CD if you encrypt it. It also has the look of an album on the screen. The pages turn , kinda cool. You can have autorun, slide shows, music, different themes, as well as your logo on each image. Cool software for under a $100US.

Not necessarily. I often put my images using Macromedia's Flash program. If you know how to use the program, it will not allow for any captures on a computer beyond screen captures, and those aren't exactly worthy of stealing. Either learn how to use the program or find someone willing to do it for you. I'm working on an online album and will use Flash to avoid photo theft.

If there is a way to lock something, there is a way to unlock it. It is just a matter of time some hacker figures it out. Your best defense is to provide very low-resolution sample files, like below 50K byte JPEGs. They can still look pretty good on the monitor as small images, but if you print those images, they'll look very poor. And no hacker is going to be able to create high-resolution images from those poor ones.