Locating Honest Travel Companion

nancy s.

I have been traveling to the western US on an annual basis since 2002. For

most of those trips I traveled with someone who was equally interested in

photography as well as able to enjoy some of the other adventures such trips

have to offer.

That situation has changed and, while I have not a single reservation about

traveling alone or with my Dog, it would be nice to have someone along to

share driving and expenses and offer idea exchange.

The question is how to find an honest travel companion (drug free) who will be

interested in getting up early in the morning to catch the light and also not

object to doing other things as well (I like to hike and ride horse back, for

instance).

I am considering a trip across country in about 18 months to Montana, Idaho

and Washington/Oregon (assuming I can find the money for such an adventure).

I have been considering different travel methods from flying or taking the

train to driving and then mixing up the accommodations between camping and

motels.

Every time I begin to consider the idea of a travel companion I find myself

reconsidering and thinking that going alone with my dog would be better....

However, I thought I would throw this out here to more experienced travelers

and see what you all could advise on the finding a trust-worthy travel

companion.

I certainly don't recommend craig's list.

You could try getting involved with a local photography club. Also trying out a local outdoor club might work. Before I met my wife I was starting to get very involved with the Maryland Outdoor club (of course a few states away from you :D ). There were a number of people in the club who probably would have been up for a similar sort of trip.

I think the best bet is no matter who you decide to take the trip with get to know the first. Whether it is a work friend, outdoor club person, someone a friend introduces you to or whatever it is best of get to know them first. Maybe just do some casual things with them, coffee, talk interests, etc. That way you can find out if you have anything in common (which is important on a long trip with just one other person, otherwise you get bored with nothing to talk about) and also get a feel for the integrity of the person in question.

This is a problem I am facing to some degree. My wife is usually pretty understanding about my photography hobby, but she is not much for waking up early. However, my biggest problem is there are several places in the world I would love to visit some day (not terribly soon, but maybe 4-5 years from now) and she has not a single desire to go nor a willingness to travel there. She doesn't have a problem with me going some day. So I am thinking I might try to rope a friend or two into it, but none of my close friends are interested in photography.

PS Some of the places I am interested in traveling to are an extended trip to Egypt, returning to Morrocco and maybe venturing the the Atlas mountains, parts of Burma and Thailand which I don't think she would want to or be comfortable traveling to.

Nancy -- I've travelled by myself, with family and with friends. My experience is that you don't know what it's like to travel with someone until you've actually travelled with that person ... and of course, then it might be too late.

The photo club is certainly a way to find someone who's interested in photography, and maybe you could try a weekend photo trip with that person before actually embarking on your long trip. Would you consider taking a photography tour or course? Or even 1 or 2 day workshops in different locations. These might give you some of the companionship you're seeking, without committing to a permanent travel "relationship."

I've travelled on my own in the US and other countries, including places where I don't speak the language. I never minded the solitude, but I'm a fairly inward-focused person. My mother-in-law travels solo on trips all the time, although usually on tours where there are other people around when she feels like being sociable.

FWIW, I think most married/partnered photographers with non-photographer SOs face this problem. My husband is into film-making, which helps. Unfortunately, he really doesn't enjoy travelling, especially to places that are hot and humid. So I know that when I'm finally ready to go to India, I'll be on my own. My plan is to find a good photo tour to join. If DH won't travel with me, at least I'll be with people who like photography ... and travelling!

Well, you have all mentioned the problems I have been considering. From these responses and my own thoughts it would seem prudent to me to just go solo.. and take my dog if I really want companionship that won't care what we do as long as she can come too. LOL

As you have noted, traveling can bring out traits in another person you may be unhappy about being around for an extended time period. Also, it is very important to have someone around who is trustworthy and isn't into illegal drugs or excessive drinking etc.

I am keeping this domestic at this point. Someday, when I have the money.. and the time.. I would like to go to Africa and take wild life photos.. big cats.. and I would love to go to Nepal.. (tho I am not interested in climbing any of those mountains!). I would also like to see the Scottish Highlands and rural England...

Well, OK.. I need to win the lotto...

I do love to travel. I get into that mode and I just want to see new horizon all the time. Funny thing is I don't really understand those who don't.

I could see where it would get old if it was for work and all you saw were airports and conference halls!

Anyway, I am listening to the ideas. Might do a photography club thing.. give it a try.. in the fall when I have more time!

Check out couchsurfing.com

It's a travellers community that helps you find couches to stay in while travelling. However there a lot of user groups dedicated to photography and/or finding travel partners. I am a member myself (you can check out my profile on it) and people are generally trustworthy, the entire system works on references so you always have some kind of idea on who you are going on with.

Another approach that has worked well for me is youth hostels (though the # of photographers there might be low), there is always people looking for partners or at least people to share the cost of travelling...

Hope this helps,

Cheers.

Nancy, I have a similar but different problem. Huh?

My wife loves to travel but could care less about photography. We are going to Banff/Jasper in a couple weeks but there is no way she will get up at 4 am to photograph some steenking mountain at sunrise.

My point is, you may find someone who loves to travel but doesn't care for photography. Or vice versa. Your travel companion doesn't have to be just like you, only enough like you to allow both the opportunity to pursue your personal interests.

I run into photographers wherever I go, and enjoy the camaraderie, but in the end I really seeing the sights with my wife. Maybe you can make it the best of both worlds if you don't limit your options to photographers who like to travel.

This may not help you, but I love traveling alone. And Matthew above, Egypt is great alone, easy to meet tons of people (and my assumption is it's even easier for men!). It IS difficult to get people up early in the morning, especially on vacation, which is why I like being able to make my own schedule and not worry about the other person. Plus photography can be very introspective...having another person around can just get in the way!

For the trips where I've been with people, I've felt that since they were close to me, they wouldn't mind if I got up early or wandered off a while to get local shots. Of course this doesn't work if you're trying to go some place new early in the morning!

I'm also planning a short roadtrip alone in a month, my first-ever solo trip within the States. So I'm a little high on the idea right now as well...

Actually, I went to the Couchsurfing site and that has its interesting points. I am over 50 so that might not fit well with a younger person, but there are some interesting ideas there that I may pursue.

And Bruce, you are correct. A person you are traveling with does not have to be a photographer as long as they can go off and do something else while you are waiting for a train or the light etc. What I do NOT want is someone sitting in the car while I am doing my thing with a puss on and a sigh! some of the things I like to do are not photography.. and I don't want someone pressing me.. which is why I think the Dog is a good idea. ;)

You are also correct in that having someone to spend quality time with is nice too, but after my most recent experience in the.. uhhh.. 'relationship business' I have decided against any more relationships. I don't mind friends but do not want to ever again go beyond that.

Once burned the stove's fault. Twice burned your own fault (or something like that). Three times would be way to expensive on both a financial and emotional front! I am just not that good at spotting bonafide cheats, liars, cads and small time scam artists!

It is for this very reason I keep returning to the going solo idea.. but I figured fellow travelling P-netters would have some good ideas.

I was right! You do! thanks! :)

If I traveled only when I could find a suitable companion, I'd never go anywhere. I don't really enjoy traveling solo, but I (usually) enjoy it more than staying home. I think you'd make more productive use of your time and effort planning the trips you want to make than trying to find a suitable companion. At least you've got a dog for company!

You've got the ideal travel companion already--your dog. Loyal, patient, all the virtues, if it's like my dog. Of course, if it's a lap dog or such as opposed to a working dog, it may be a different story.

In any case, "at least... a dog", indeed! Sniff!

Seriously, I would never take along a companion without traveling together on some shorter trips first.

My dog is a German Shepherd. She is not a year old yet but well mannered and waits well already, but will improve as time goes on. I hope!

As to the Match dot Com thing... well, here is the thing.. I just got rid of one relationship about 8 months ago (liar, cheat, drugs etc.). I don't want another one. My relationships tend to attract the worse sort of people.. so rather than waste any more of my life that way I have closed that door quite firmly.

The more I look into travel companions the less inclined I am to go that route simply due to the difficulty in finding someone who is flexible and honest etc.

Take good photos and share the trip later as a slide show after a dinner party.. and then everyone can go home and I got to spend 4 hours with them and didn't have to spend 4 weeks in a car with them! LOL

As photographers, we probably all appreciate that it is not easy to find a *good* travel companion. A non-photographer will be bored to tears. A photographer at a different level or with a different interest can frustrate both. Either one of these can ruin a trip for one or both, not to mention the potential of destroying a relationship for good. Even if you are lucky enough to find a good photo tour, you have to deal with a group, restricted by an itenary and pay big bucks.

For independent travellers, I think that a site similar to the concept of Couchsurfing, but dedicated to matching photographers is what we need. Members's info will include: location, photography interest (such as experience level, genres, gear, galleries), service offered (such as companion, guide, or simply on location info) etc. Throw in a rating system and a forum and off you go.

A couple of years and millions of membership later, Yahoo or Google will knock on your door to purchase your site.

My cousin was dumped by a girl and got a dog instead. He then found this nice girl who happened to be a veterinary surgeon. When she dumped him, he moved to Brazil and has now been married to this really lovely Brazilian girl for fifteen years. Never give up hope.

Robert K. I like your idea. I wish I had the expertise and time to do something like that. In the meantime, I have the dog!

Ilkka:

It is not hope I have abandoned, it is the need for a second person in my life on a day to day basis I have abandoned.

I am way happier now alone than I have been for the last 26 years.. first as a married person (20 years) single for a year then as a girl friend for 5 years. Both people were losers, tho the last (BF) was a far greater life failure (RE: Everything he ever did he was a failure at!) than the former (failed at relationships but not at life).

Nancy, I can't do it either. Otherwise, I would have.

Lacking such a site, here's what I do. In forums such as this, note the posters who contribute to the location I want to visit. Review their posting history. Visit their galleries, and gauge what they shoot and what levels they are at. E-mail the selected few for more questions. The responses may provide you with good location info. If you hit it off in e-mail, you may get to meet. Definitely takes work, and the ROI may be very low or nil.

There are photo meetup groups all over, and a similar approach applies there as well. I often wonder why these groups don't make a stab at the kind of site I have in mind, or at least reach out and connect with groups elsewhere for the same purpose.

Photogs with their own sites but don't post in forums are yet another resource. You can view their work, but without any postings, you can't "sense" what they are like.

Robert,

This is an AMAZING idea. I want to give it some thought. Unfortunately my background is in web design, not programming (although I do neither now, working in fashion!) but it's REALLY intriguing. I have not used couchsurfing, but I am quite familiar with hospitalityclub.org, which really focuses more on the actual hosting, and meeting-up-to-show-around....not sure if they have user groups like described above for couchsurfing.com. I'm also registered at globalfreeloaders.com, another similar site, but after a couple years I've decided I GREATLY prefer hospitalityclub.org's site...the profiles, testimonials, it just makes more sense.

OK, I'm starting to ramble but I think the idea of a photo meetup like this makes sense (without being an actual meetup.com site--I think on that site someone in charge usually comes up with a trip and then gets people to participate, right? Not what we are looking for).

Interesting, interesting...

take the dog and go alone. i have spent the most part of the last 15 years traveling alone. i find that if you travel alone you get to do what you want when you want to do it. also you meet new people ....cause you have to. when you are with another person it is very easy just to hang out with that person. when you are alone you are forced to meet people. somehow you put out a different vibe when you are alone so you are more easily approached, and as i said sometimes you are more out going cause it is just you. i have met some of the greatest people this way. many turned out to be great friends to this day. as a matter of fact i just met up with some long time friends i met the first time in 1999 in canyon lands NP. try it. you will be surprised on how well you do and how easy it is. and remember you are probaly going to meet other travel photogs out there.....especially early in the morning. and guess what.....you will have lots in common right from the beginning.

Matthew, let me know when you plan to go to thailand and burma. i go there all the time. 6 months per year. i met my wife at the swedagon pagoda in yangon in 2005. she is Burmese.

eddie

As all you lone travellers are well aware, there are many pros and cons. Here are a few of my cons:

- In many situations, an additional pair of hands or eyes can help with luggage transport, etc. and alleviate security concerns (especially with camera equipment). A dog can help some, but can be another burden.

- Menu choices can be limited when dining alone. Some countries' menu items are intended for two. A dog would love to help solve this problem.

- I feel guilty renting a car all for myself. At times, I wish there is someone to help with directions or share driving. I know of no dogs that can do either.

- A companion may speak a foreign language that I can't. A dog speaks yet another language.

BTW, I'm a dog lover.

Robert K.

Right now I am sticking to domestic travel (in the US). Taking a dog into a foreign country is a whole 'nother can of worms I don't want to get into.

Having someone share expenses and driving was the reason for the original post.

However, I do agree with Eddie Gunks. When I am solo I do meet the best sort of people it seems. Last year I had a travel companion but when he was not with me, I was free to talk to ppl and it was nice.

I have traveled with my Cat in the past. The only problem with travelling with her was she has short legs! She walks well on a leash but after about 3 miles that is enough walking and she wants to ride in the back pack (and does). If she is tired then she sleeps or if not that tired she looks out at the world while I do the walking! She is getting up there in years now, so I don't do this as much as I used to with her.

It's funny, I feel like I'm the only person who feels this way, but I meet far FEWER people when I'm alone. Mainly because I'm a bit shy, but also because usually everyone ELSE is in groups/couples! I find that when I'm with someone else, a friend or otherwise, other pairs of people (not necessarily couples) also want to talk to us. Usually we are both more relaxed and people may overhear us and already know a bit of what we're like before approaching. The only times I would say I met LOTS of other travelers while alone were in various countries in the Middle East, where many people travel alone, and Roatan, where there's just tons of tourists making it a bit easy.

Yeah, I also wish I had someone to share driving costs AND duties with on my upcoming roadtrip...even just feeling more comfortable being out before sunrise and after sunset in more remote areas.

But I still say it's fun to go alone! :)