Local stores for gaffers tape?

rogerdaltx

<p>Dumb question: What sort of typical local store do you go to to buy gaffers tape? I've had no luck with Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart and a small hardware store. </p>

<p>I'm playing with some, small strobes, gels and making some snoots and gobos. And think the non reflective cotton surface and more importantly clean adhesive removal would work better than duct tape. I can order it off Amazon, but this should not be that hard to find in a big city and I hate to pay shipping for a role of tape. I guess I could try to find a theater supply company, but would not have thought this would be that hard to find.</p>

<p>If Uline carries it that's great but generally gaffers tape is something you will find only at a professional camera store (not a place at the mall) or a motion picture/video/lighting supply house. Any place that rents professional lenses or studio strobes should know what it is and stock it. If you don't have a good professional camera store try a place that sells/rent stage lighting. But really the answer to any "I can't find xxx" is <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com">www.bhphotovideo.com</a> or <a href="http://www.adorama.com">www.adorama.com</a>. They have everything, have it at the best prices and can probably ship it to you quicker than you can find time to get to a local shop.</p>

<p>Gaffer's tape is hard to find locally, but another alternative is to use hockey stick tape. It tears easily since it is cloth-based and is tacky enough to get the job done without being messy. It comes in multiple colors, too, and I usually use black so that it blends better with the equipment stands and wiring, etc.</p>