Loading film in a Rolleicord

dan_bracken

I have just acquired a Rolleicord with a Xenar 1:3.5/75 lens serial number 2173939. The serial number of the body is 1109221. The following letters appear on the front of the camera body just below the name Rolleicord: DRP on the left and to the right DRGM.

<p>

I have the following questions:

<p>

1. What model is it?

<p>

2. When was it made?

<p>

3. What is the correct procedure for loading film? At the present time

when I load a new roll of film (color) I manually advance the film until

the number 1 shows in the red window on the bottom of the camera, then reset the automatic counter by pressing in a button on the winding knob and simultaneously pushing down on a little silver button below the winding knob? Is this correct?

<p>

4. Should I be lining the arrow on the back of the film up with anything

before closing the camera back?

<p>

5. How much light will get into the camera through the red window if the cover over it is left open?

<p>

Your comments and answers will be very much appreciated.

<p>

Thankyou,

<p>

Dan Bracken

• 4 months later...

Hi Dan,

<p>

I just bought my first Rolleicord today and so I might not be the best guy to tell you how to load film.

<p>

To answer 1: you seem to have a Rolleicort I (type 1)

<p>

2: They were built between 1933 and 1936. You can tell it is a pre war model by the acronyms DRP and DRGM. This stands for Deutsches Reichs Patent (German Reich Patent) and Deutsches Reichs Geschmacks Muster (basicly a copyright for the name). In post WW2 models you will find DBP and DBGM. They switched from Reich to Bund (German Federal Patent).

<p>

3: I won't dare to tell but I am sure by now you have figured out how to load film.

<p>

4: The camera I bought today is a Rolleicord V (1954-1957) and I have to line up the line on the back of the film with two red dots to the left and right of the body.

<p>

Hope this helps, I've got to go and take some photos!!!