Link of Parkinsons Disease and Photography

stemked

<p>I just caught the show on NPR 'Living on Earth' and there was a very interesting story on Parkinson Disease. A study by Samuel Goldman links (I assume statically, I haven't read the article myself) several professions to Parkinson's Disease including Electrician, Artist,and Photography hobbiests. I assume this links back to the days when we still used to work in darkrooms with solvents because he was linking the incidences to trichloroethylene (TCE) and solvents in general. Mind you it is ONE Small study (99 twins) but it is worth noting for those of you who still develop your own film<br>

The article appeared in the Annuals of Neurology and the abstract can be found here:<br>

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ana.22629/abstract<br>

The take hoe message should probably be that one should not be caviler when working with solvents. Interesting Jeff Hall posted such a comment/observation here at photo.net almost 10 years ago:<br>

http://www.photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/003C6Y</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Edward Weston's early death from Parkinson's Disease has been linked to his use of amidol print developer. Color chemicals are reputed to be more toxic than b+w - the most toxic b+w chemical is probably pyro[gallol] developer - at least we have progressed from the days when potassium cyanide was in common use as a fixer!</p>

<p>I had a quick look for supporting evidence. Unfortunately, science is never that symple and I found an article with a larger sample size that stated categorically, the TCE doesn't contribute to the risk of Parkinson's and that cigarette use was a protective factor.<br>

<a href="http://archneur.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprint/66/9/1106">http://archneur.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprint/66/9/1106</a><br>

Many, if not all laboratory scientists do everything they can not to get in contact with any laboratory chemical. I gave up lab science after an accidental exposure that nearly lead to death.</p>

<p> Thanks for posting that. My wife is ever vigilant to make sure non of us willingly come into contact with chemicals. Our yard and garden are organic and everything we try to do what is possible. I just recently decided to start developing my own C41 and was all set to purchase the chemicals when my wife shut down that plan. After reading this thread I will continue to use the lab for C41 processing. Interesting I was just reading a book of "Ansel Adams an Autobiography" and he was talking about Edward Weston's PD and death in the chapter titled "Edward Weston". It's a nice book that I picked up at the local thrift shop for a dollar. I do not think anyone has read this partricular copy before given the amazing condition.</p>

<p>This is the kind of thread which could run for two years on apug with actual scientists contributing. I can't think of any time I have used TCE for b&w or color developing. I have not becom interested in pyro devceloper. Developers like D-76, Microphen, PC-TEA and Diafine, when used with care, present very little danger. The same goes for aceitic acid or citric acid stop baths and regular or rapid fixers currently in use. Most household cleaners are far more dangerous and used with far less care. It's sad that people who used radium to paint watch dials and hatters who used mercury became ill and sometimes died. These are interesting historical references but they would not stop me from wearing a watch or a hat today. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"A few researchers contend that almost everyone would develop Parkinson's eventually if they lived long enough."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>An interesting quote from The US NIH:</p>

<p>http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/parkinsons_disease/parkinsons_disease_backgrounder.htm</p>

<p>BTW, stay away from a bowl of organic castor beans, TCE or carbon tet solvent used in well ventilated conditions has much less effect on your well being.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>These are interesting historical references but they would not stop me from wearing a watch or a hat today.</em><br>

And quite right too, since hatters no longer use mercury and luminous dials today contain no radium, only re-emittent phosphorous. It still pays to ensure good ventilation when working with any photo chemicals and not to underestimate the danger of rhinitis or bronchitis which may result from inhaling acetic acid stop bath or fixer fumes, particularly in improvised darkrooms.</p>

<p>It is not news that proper ventilation is required when using darkroom chemicals. Have you read all of the warning labels which appear on a new ladder? Did you know that dropping a bowling ball on your foot from a height of ten feet can cause serious injury? Did you know that a letter opener can also be used as a lethal weapon? There was a long study performed several years ago which showed that the air in the Lincoln Tunnel might be unhealthy. Unlike the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, which has ventilation, the Lincoln Tunnel has none. I could have told them the air was bad in the Lincoln Tunnel and I'm not a scientist. After a certain point people have to be credited with having some common sense. If people have no common sense at all then all of the warning labels in the world won't help them. I'm glad that lead is no longer in gasoline. This makes us all healthier. I like the fact that our house is connected to a sewer line and not to a septic tank. When I drive I have some confidence that the safety features in my car will protect me in the event of an accident. I'm not against safety or health. The idea that I will get Parkinson's from using D-76 is just silly. I might very well get Parkinson's but it won't be from D-76. </p>

<p><em>The idea that I will get Parkinson's from using D-76 is just silly. I might very well get Parkinson's but it won't be from D-76</em>.<br>

No one has suggested this, Jeff, but if you're one of an unfortunate minority, D76 will give you a nice (i.e. very unpleasant) case of metol poisoning - not fatal, but not funny either.</p>

<p>Hi Peter.<br>

I'm a Scientist too, Micro/Molecular/Environmental Biologist. Sorry to hear about your accident, I can claim a few close calls myself in the lab. Now I mostly teach (some research) and can say when it comes to neural damage whining students are likely more damaging than anything I was exposed to in the lab. ;)<br>

I agree, that the study is probably too limited to say anything approaching any level reasonable certainty. I know back in my graduate days when I developed a lot of film myself I wasn't necessarily the most careful developer. I do think it is prudent, however tentative on the data, that we should exercise a level of caution.<br>

I like the comment about the gloves too. I did use them, but they were never 100% damage free.</p>

<p>As b&w films have improved in grain and sharpness there has been a move away from metol as the principal developing agent and toward phenidone. I think that when Kodak introduced X-tol it did so in part because in the quantities normally used, phenidone and ascorbic acid (or isoascorbic acid) are less toxic than metol and hydroquinone. Ilford Microphen was one of the earlier popular developers to use phenidone but it also contained hydroquinine. When PC-TEA [phenidone, Vitamin C and triethanolamine] was devised it solved a number of allergy and toxicity problems at the same time. There is no metol or sodium sulfite. The TEA and ascorbic acid are sufficient to keep the phenidone from oxidizing and the TEA in a working solution of 1:50 is in a low enough concentration that potential harm is reduced. The main danger of TEA in this setting is that it must be warmed to allow the other ingredients to dissolve. Some people used microwave ovens and got the TEA much too hot. I solve this problem by using a hot water bath. Odorless citric acid stop bath is preferable for most purposes to smelly aceitic acid stop bath. I realize that just because a chemical doesn't smell bad doesn't mean you should use it without proper ventilation. There is even odorless fixer, which I think has no hardener. You can make up or buy phenidone based paper developer too. My point is that there are safer and more pleasant alternatives now to some of the b&w chemicals we used to use. When I used phenidone based developers in the 1970s I expected and got more grain from films like Tri-X and HP-4 than I would have had with D-76 but I gained some speed. With current films like TMY2 and Tri-X phenidone based developers work very well. </p>

<p>The gassing-off and fumes given off by fixer from an 16x20 print is pretty pungent, if you have your head or face over the tray during the reaction. It sizzles.</p>

<p>Anyway, regarding the watch...reminded me of one my favorite songs...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You're like my yo-yo <br /> That glowed in the dark. <br /> What made it special <br /> Made it dangerous, <br /> So I bury it <br /> And forget.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>David Bebbington wrote: "Edward Weston's early death from Parkinson's Disease has been linked to his use of amidol print developer."<br>

Please cite a credible source for this information.<br>

Many other photoraphes use and have used Amidol without problems. I believe the assertion is a myth with no scientific foundation.</p>

<p><em>David Bebbington wrote: "Edward Weston's early death from Parkinson's Disease has been linked to his use of amidol print developer."</em><br /><em>Please cite a credible source for this information.</em><br /><em>Many other photoraphes use and have used Amidol without problems. I believe the assertion is a myth with no scientific foundation.</em></p>

<p>As far as I am aware, there have never been any clinical trials of amidol toxicity - nor will there ever be. All my working life I have had warnings like this:<br>

<a href="http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Amidol/amidol.html">http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Amidol/amidol.html</a><br>

at the back of my mind. I find these credible enough to give amidol a wide berth, as indeed I do any highly toxic chemical where a less toxic alternative is available (PQ formula in the case of print developer). I agree that there is no conclusive proof of amidol's lethality - if the risk is acceptable to you, fine!</p>