Linhof Technika III 6x9

george_daneliya

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I've just received my New Year present to myself - a nice Baby Linhof 6x9 with Tessar 3.5/105 with a matching cam. No other lenses unfortunatelly. Now trying to figure out certain things.</p>

<p>1. My Linhof has a viewfinder / rangefinder system (so, it's a Super Technika). But there are no brightlines in the finder. On the web I saw photos of such cameras only with brightlines (having the form of a cross - 1 for 65/105mm + one for 180mm). I have a mask for the viewfinder, so, it's not a problem, just seems strange. Another strange fact about the viewfinder - it has a violet square zone in the center, which is much larger than the rangefinder spot and takes approx. 30% of the finder.</p>

<p>2. The camera is covered with tan (actually more greyish than tan) leatherette. Before I received the camera I thought all technikas III were black. The leatherette is old, so it's not a recent recovering. </p>

<p>3. Rangefinder seems a little bit off. Is there any instruction how to calibrate it available? I haven't found anything on the web. BTW, when I extend the lens to its infinity dot, it still needs to be extended further a bit to reach infinity (judging by the GG).</p>

<p>4. Certain aluminium (?) parts inside are covered with white powder rust (the rest of the camera has no cosmetical defects). Is it common for old linhofs?</p>

<p>Otherwise a great machine!</p>

<p>Any comments?</p>

<p>Happy New Year to all forum members!</p>

<p>Georgy</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Also, if it is a matching cam it will have the serial number of the lens stamped on the top of the lobe for that lens and the serial number of the camera stamped on the bottom of the cam. Is that what you have? If not, it is not a matching cam and will not focus true at all distances.</p>

<p>Thank you, Bob! </p>

<p>The camera's serial number is 84147 (engraved on the accessory shoe). </p>

<p>The cam is definately matching to the lens. But I cannot unscrew it all the way to check the camera's number underneath. I follow the manual's instruction (p. 16, item 6), but no matter how many turns I do, the lock cap won't come off...</p>

<p>Georgy</p>

<p>The camera is a Linhof Technika IV according to the serial # and the back is removed by means of a single lever as opposed to the III which has four corner connections.<br>

The focusing cam is removed by unscrewing the lock cap until it revolves then pulling the lock cap straight up. That's how mine works.</p>

<p>Thank you, Lorrence! I was able to remove the lock cap. The cam is matching both the lens and the camera body. </p>

<p>Indeed the back is removed by a single lever. However, the camera takes old Tech III style lens board + it does not have front tilt. Maybe it's some sort of a transitional model?</p>

<p>You have a half century + old Linhof. It should get a proper CLA from a Linhof service center so it will last at least another half century.<br>

Linhof service in the USA is nipponphotoclinic@hotmail.com in NY City.<br>

Outside the USA ask your local Linhof distributor for their service center.</p>

• 2 weeks later...