Linhof Super Technika

Great fun as always—thank you Marc.

I may have missed it but didn't see any reference to Nikon on any of these pages, including the dealer ads. There are plenty of ads for Leica and Contax but no Nikon. That seems odd given that, according to this CameraQuest article, the Nikon S was produced from 1951 to 1955 and was a good seller in the U.S. Maybe the U.S. sales didn't get going until later in the production run.

The earliest Nikon rangefinders (marked made in Occupied Japan) had 24 x 32 and 24 x 34 frame sizes rather than the standard 24 x 36. Maybe that had something to do with initial sales. I think I read somewhere that it was the Nikkor lenses (made also in Leica and Contax mounts) that really got Nikon noticed. Please correct me if I'm in error.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for posting Marc. I have been fortunate to have a Linhoff III with three matching lenses and complete kit as shown in the article. I have only had it a short time (a year) and it has been a joy to shoot with. The build quality is great and the format is just amazing in the amount of detail it can capture. When they said the photographs can be better than what you can see with your eyes, they were not kidding. I have found detail in some shots that I simply didn't know was there when I released the shutter. Great selection to post for us.