Linhof Standard

s._c.

Has anyone had any experience with this Linhof Standard 4x5 monorail? It

seems small and lightweight. I always wanted an Arca Swiss (Discovery) but

the price is still out of reach. This camera takes technika boards and looks

like a camera that I may hike with. It has a rotating graflock back, locks

down solidly, but the bellows are not detachable. Thanks for your opinions.

Hi, SC,

Since there is no picture of what you have, I guess it to be a Kardan-Color It is a

lightweight monorail, that takes Technika boards. The front of the bellows, is not pleated,

instead is is "baggish" to allow use with wide angles.

It is a good camera. But to hike with? ....... Bellows exposed make a hiking camers prone to

damage. You need a clamshell type to hike with.

but it is light,...... so you could use it.....

I think it is a future classic. Enjoy it!

Rafael

Sorry I don't have a photo. This one is not the linhof color that looks like a technika rear on a round rail. It has a square rail and a non-tapered bellows. It seems smaller than the bi-kardans. I also have a Toyo CF which doesn't really have back movements (except the 15 degrees from the bed drop), but it is a very light field camera. I also have a plaubel peco jr. with a bag bellows only. I wanted to see what back movements and a standard bellows would do for my outdoor and table-top stuff. I think the rail is at least 14 inches. Thanks.

I found a jpg of it. Seems like it is called a linhof kardan standard available in 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 sizes as their economy line. I'm not sure it there is shift, but it is axial tilt, and has a rotating back.

The Linhof Standard was an entry-level camera with full shift/rise/tile in a lightweight package. Trouble is it did not "fold up" to a compact size. Also, the bellows is not replaceable as it is glued to the front and back plates. I was seriously considering modifying one to allow a snap-on bellows attachment and the ability to rotate the front and rear standards 90 deg so that it could essentially fold up flat. <br/>

<br/>

But I gave up on that concept once I saw how complicated (and expensive) it would be.<br/>

<br/>

These cameras can be had fairly cheap. I would suggest that you pay no more than $200-$400 depending upon accessories and condition. Also, be sure to keep an eye out on the bellows -- they are *notorious* for light leaks as they were cheap bellows to begin with.<br/>

<br/>

J Michael Sullivan<br/>

Editor/Publisher, MAGNAchrom<br/>

<a href="http://www.magnachrom.com">www.magnachrom.com</a><br/>

• 3 months later...
Hi, I have used a Linhof Standard for the past two years alas deciding for a Technika 70 and 4x5 for the out and about work and a Kardan Bi for the homework. The camera weighs 1,9kg but generally its the tripod that kills me. Not to mention the lenses, rollex, film plates and other colaterals. I have been lucky with the bellows but 90mm lenses and less are quite a battle if you plan movements ( tilts, swings ect.) It is however not a bad choice for starters to see if you have the patience for large format..