Linhof Shutter: meaning of letters M, X, V?

christos_chatzoglou

Hi everyone.

Today i received a schneider lens, on Linhoff shutter (used) and i cann"t find

how to use it.

First, i didn"t find how to keep, the blands of the diafram opened, for seeing

throught.

Second, the shutter has a lever (green color), that indicates three

letters:M,X,V.

What they does?

It"s impossible to rotate this lever, to the indication V.

It"s turning only between M and X.

Is this a deffect or not?

Thank you for your help.

Hi Christos. What Brian said. The "V" setting is for the self timer, and you can't move the

lever to "V" unless the shutter is cocked.<p>All Linhof marked shutters are not the same. It

would be helpful if you could take a quick digital picture of the shutter and post it here, so

the exact model shutter can be seen. <p>Absent that, in a previous post you said you had a

good local repair shop, so bring it to them for your questions. That would be your best bet.

Okay, so you have yourself a Super-Angulon in an old #00 Synchro Compur shutter.<p>Are

you able to move the lever to "V" after it's been cocked ? You're actually charging a spring

loaded gear train when you do that, so you should feel that when you move the

lever.<p>Also, from your photo, it looks like you have it on "M". That's flash sync for flash

bulbs. Leave it on "X". Thats for electronic strobe, and it's also easier mechanically on the

shutter.( More on some model shutters than others. ) <p>How are the slow shutter speeds ?

If they hang up or sound slow, save yourself some grief, and have the shutter CLA'd before

you use the lens.

Yes the lever is moving after cocking the shutter to the V, without problem, but i don't understand what that serves.

You was right i had the lever on M.

Now i know to leave it on X.

The slow speeds sounds very well.

The only thing now, is to check if there is the necessity of a centre filter.

The seller of this lens told me that for f\8 lens the vignetting is not as obvious as with the f\5,6.

Could it be possible?

The V is for a self timer. When you trip the shutter, there should be a delay before the shutter opens.

Yes, the illumination will be more uniform stopped down than wide open. There are several reasons for non-uniform illumination. The first is mechanical vignetting -- the lens elements are simply not big enough and the metal barrel gets in the way of some of the rays that would be necessary to have the illumination of f5.6 everywhere over the image. Stopping down reduces the aperture size and the size of the bundle of rays necessary, and eventually this problem goes away.

Some other reasons are geometric, and don't depend on f-stop. So once you have stopped down enough, the illumination typically won't improve by stopping down more. Here is a thread in which I explain these geometric factors: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=005gK2

Some other discussions: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00H004, http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00FhGt and http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00CWUV

Perfect explaned Michael.

So speaking for a 75mm lens, why someone to pay for a f\5,6 (that"s more expensive than an f\8), and after spend for a centre filter (67 to 86 about $250) if the lost one stop isn"t so big deal for exterior work. And with cf mounted the f\5,6 is making about f\9.

After this the cost of the filters is superior for 86mm than 49mm diameter, plus the movements with a centre filter will be smaller, so the advantage of the biger image circle of the f\5,6 isn"t any more an advantage.

Both the fast and the slow lens will have mechanical vignetting wide open, which will vanish when you stop down about a couple of stops. The fast lens will give you a brighter view on the ground glass. Stopped down, assuming that they are similar types such as Grandagon, Super-Angulon, Nikkor-SW, the illumination should be very similar. The center filter shouldn't restrict movements -- that is why they are designed with a step up to a larger front diameter.