Linhof 220 camera

bill_barton

• 4 weeks later...

Bill,

<p>

You've acquired one fine machine! The folks at Midwest Photo can get

a photocopy (color) to you of the instruction manual for the sum of 15.00 US. The reason that it is so expensive is that it must be reproduced in color. I've seen the older Linhof manuals and there are

large page areas that simply would not reproduce well as grey-scale.

Coincidentally, I am in the process of purchasing a new 220, black with lower hand-grip. I've always wanted to purchase one; however, they have always commanded a huge price. I have seen three in my 43 years: Two in the Linhof Tan and this black one which has been owned/stored by a La Jolla photojournalist for over 15 years.

In asking around at the shops I get the same reply: It was the best

portrait/candid shooter made; however, the timing viv-a-vis press/

journalism was not right...35mm has taken over that niche. I have an e-mail into Linhof in Munich in the hopes of acquiring some data/manual information & would even pay whatever inflated amount

such documentation would cost. One of our local San Diego Tribune

society editors traveled his "beat" with that 220 always at his side.

That 220 wound up at a shop here in San Diego and languished for some 8-10 years before being sold for 900.00 to a discriminating gentleman

several months ago (March?). That photographer was going to have it CLA'd and put into use doing head shots for aspiring actors.

When one is looking at all the great camera's that have been made,

few - if any - have the presence of that 220...it commands respect.

Once I've heard from our friends at Linhof, I'll share what else I've gleaned with you. Regards.

Hi,

Just got somemore information on the Linhof 220 camera's from Linhof and thought I would post if for everyone.

<p>

They made these camera's from 1966-1977 and in that time they manufactured about 2,200 units that's only 200 cameras a year, no wonder I have not seen any before the one I bought. Also was in touch with Rodenstock, they made the lens 95mm f3.5 they say they made the lens on my camera in Jan 1966 and sold it to Linhof in Feb 1966.

Linhof informed me that my camera was manufactured in 1973, so my lens was seven years old before it was put on a camera body.....must be like wine it gets better with age.

<p>

Just shot some wedding pictures with the camera using AGFA 160 in 220 size film, what nice prints from a 6x7 neg.

Thanks Bill

• 3 months later...

Alright, thanks for all the nice stuff said about Linhof! But lets be real, the camera is about 24 years old and the lens is older without any multi-coating. I will say the pictures are sharp and have very good contrast, but my Fuji 645 with EBC coating has more snap.

<p>

The camera is more of a love hate relationship at this time, it's big, and heavy. It is a rangefinder camera that does not have any interchangable lenses, there are no movements, think of it as a BIG POINT AND SHOOT CAMERA! The 95 mm lens is the same as a 50mm on a 35 mm camera so I have to agree with Phil on Photo net, that wider is better.

<p>

Plus; the camera is built like a tank....all metal vertical 6x7 format

with a pistol grip under the camera you can't remove......

<p>

Negative, it weigh's like a tank......However once you put it to your eye it's a dream. The viewfinder is lifesize, {no small image, rangefinder is big and easy to focus} not like my Fuji, small image and rangefinder VERY DIM forget about using it to shot a wedding indoors.

<p>

That's it for tonight, just back from the beach in North Carolina and too much wine. Shoot more film....Bill

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congratulations, Don!

Hi, Bill!

I purchased a Linhof 220 too.

A short story. I had to make an irreproachable portrait of my father, when I visited him this July. He was a pilot of long range bomber Bouing-25 during WWII. Now he is eighty. Unfortunately I had with me only Leica M3 with 35mm lens. Then I called my friend for getting any MF camera and was offered a Linhof 220.

I shot with it two rolls of Portra 160 at full opened (3,5/500) and Agfa Pro 100 at various settings, handhold. Wow! What wonderful portraits I have gotten! Something like that I made with my Tech. Super Vb.

The brilliant viewfinder-rangefinder has exactly 1,0 magnification, and you can easily see a subject equally with both eyes. There are two frames in the VF for a parallax correction, the little one is for 1 meter distance, the large one is for infinity. There are a hot shoe and a socket for a cable. Both are working well with a flash at any shutter speed. The lens is amazing at full open and gives a beautiful blur of background (�bokeh�). A meter is working very correctly. Neither any vibration nor a noise when releasing a trigger, but when cocking a shutter at the end of a second stroke a click appears. A great soft leather case-bag with a zipper and a strap.

Now I use it as a second 6X7 format camera (together with Hassy and TS Vb). It is more convenient to me than my Rolleiflex 3.5F.

Enjoy,

Victor

Bill, Peter, Carlo, Mike, Fred, Kristjan, Victor. i just learned how this message thim works, i sent an e-mail, to victor, wanted to share, with all of you, victor, can you put that in the room? i do not know how. thanks for all the info.. i will find more for us, i hope... thanks, don

Bill, Peter, Carlo, Mike, Fred, Kristjan, Victor. i just learned how this message thing works, i sent an e-mail, to victor, wanted to share, with all of you, victor, can you put that in the room? i do not know how. thanks for all the info.. i will find more for us, i hope... thanks, don

• 1 year later...

hi, linhof 220 fans! some late information on the 220, as i+ ve just had it overhauled by a professional/Linghof certified technician in stockholm, sweden. first of all, he was very happy to see one as there had only been four sold in sweden! next he gave me an IMORTANT tip that i want to share with you -220 fanatics- ; the film winding mechanism is EXTREMELY complex and sensitive - AND (probably) irreparable once broken. so take outmost care when handling that impressive lever! don´t jerk it! the man had the same opinion ´bout the optics - it´s a great lens! i prefer my minolta spotmeter before the inbuilt lightmeter (it´s not that accurate, to say the least...).

looking forward to hear more comments on this wacky camera. i would like to see a manual!? i could, in return, mail a copy of a sexy 220 ad with a naked blond in fur holding a 220!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just to hint it´s uses........

kristjan aunver

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
I just acquired a beige Linhof 220 camera. In the next two days, I will soon see the results of this camera. I am baffled to scarcity of information on this camera. I do not find anything in either McKeown's or the Hove Blue Book. Can someone offer help in this area, in addition to it's value?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...