"Likes" in No Words Forum

JDMvW

I'm such an easy son-uv-a-b that I pretty much like all the No Words images.

If I check only one, then I feel like I am slighting the others.

Leaving someone to be the only kid in the class who doesn't get a Valentines Card?

Before I start liking anyone, I feel I need to resolve this inner tension.

I agree with you there. Seems to go against the "No Words" principal of no comments. BTW do the guidelines and categories for this forum [The "No Words" Forum] still apply or are there no longer any?
<br> <br>

Yes. <br> <br>

In simple terms - The "No Words" Forum is 'No Words' with a limit of one contribution, per member, per thread.<br><br>

WW

I've never had this problem, but I do understand it. I am of the belief that we're all big boys. There are a lot of photos on the internet that I like and a lot that I don't. Some are simply bad photographs, but more often its the subject. I have posted innumerable banal pictures myself. I'm totally ok with folks not liking them. Half the time I don't like them myself.

All I know is that I tried to post the above as an echo on No Words, and got deleted and threatened with punishment.

I can find no way in this new system to communicate with the moderators.

JDM, you were not "threatened with punishment" but were told that your behavior was inappropriate for the No Words Forum: specifically, posting comments, opinions, and questions in a NO WORDS forum. The Help Forum is the place to do that.

To be fair, like you and others there were many aspects of the classic PhotoNet that I liked and would rather have seen them remain. But I am willing to give the administration here time to develop a more "state of the art" website. Patience is a virtue, even in the era of instant gratification.

• Like 1

Walt,

1. It was listed as a "point of order" which in Robert's Rules of Order allows a certain leeway.

2. While you personally did not "threaten" me, the accompanying "automatic" text mentioned banning, etc.
  3. I am and was not seriously "worried"
  4. I have been foremost, perhaps, among the old timers here who have have, as you suggest, counseled patience, so you're preaching to the choir.

This brings up an interesting point. How are any of the many new PN members now introduced to the redesigned site supposed to know what the rules or guidelines are? It's all well and good that we old timers may be expected to know how the No Words forum works and that we're limited to one photo per thread, but given that there are no FAQs and no longer any forum guidelines posted when one enters a forum, I guess people will have to find out the hard way, by getting an automated notice that they could be banned for not following rules they had no way of knowing about. It's one thing to be asked or made to follow rules. It's another to be asked or made to follow rules you have no means of being aware of until you've broken them. There seems to be an intentional lack of instructions for the redesigned site and a disinterest expressed by administration in providing formal instructions. That's too bad. New participants, for example, will not know that political speech could get them in trouble. They won't know there are limits to numbers of photos posted in certain threads. They won't know not to include a personal website as a signature in a thread. But I guess they'll find out soon enough . . . after the fact.
  • Like 2
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

This brings up an interesting point. How are any of the many new PN members now introduced to the redesigned site supposed to know what the rules or guidelines are? . . .
<br><br>

What I see is that only the individual Forum Guidelines are missing (those that were on the RHS of the header for each forum's header page). <br><br>

The "Terms and Conditions of Use" and "Community Guidelines / Forum Posting Guidelines" are still where they were AND when a new User signs up they must check the box to confirm that they have agree to the terms and conditions which is displayed below that check box.<br><br>

So re-iterating - I see the only difference is the absence of individual Forum Guidelines and that could be easily accommodated by Sticky Thread at the top of each Forum which has special or additional guidelines. This is something that I thought of a few days ago, but haven’t yet had the time of the opportunity to discuss with Glenn or other Moderators, for example Walter specific to the “No Words” Forum. As I have stated the idea here the simple thing would be to alert them to this thread and my response here, which I will now do. <br><br>

WW

. . . There seems to be an intentional lack of instructions for the redesigned site and a disinterest expressed by administration in providing formal instructions. That's too bad. New participants, for example, will not know that political speech could get them in trouble. They won't know there are limits to numbers of photos posted in certain threads. They won't know not to include a personal website as a signature in a thread. But I guess they'll find out soon enough . . . after the fact.

No, Fred.<br><br>

That's non sequitur. <br><br>

And IMO an unnecessarily emotive and inflammatory comment. <br><br>

Far better to cite the issue that is a problem or potential problem (which you have done – thank you); describe the problem and then work towards a solution - emotional content and inflammatory thoughts posturing as conclusions are unnecessary and not helpful. <br><br>

I don’t intend to follow that particular line of conversation any further: in fact the only reason I didn’t ignore the comment entirely was because of the much higher esteem I have always held you sense of logic and fair minded commentary. <br><br>

WW

William, I didn't say what I said lightly. I won't take the time to find the various examples right now, but Glenn has been asked in at least a couple of threads about providing FAQs for the newly-designed site and he quite adamantly and specifically said that instructions and manuals are things of the past, that people don't use them, and that a site like this should be self evident. Well, in my opinion, the site as it was rolled out, in many instances, has not been at all self evident. I'm sorry you took my words as overly emotional and inflammatory, but I think rolling out a complete redesign like this with no instructions for use and so many functions not functioning is a bit much. You'll notice that it took a proactive member, Leslie, to start several threads explaining to people what's what. That should have been the job of the administration. It should have been organized and not left up to a crowd sourcing type mechanism that has been somewhat of a free for all, where things are being asked repeatedly in different threads and answered repeatedly in different threads as well. If you think this has been an adequate system, more power to you. To me, it's been a joke . . . and I feel quite comfortable saying so.
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
What I read in some of the conversations regarding the absence of real instructions reminds me of watching a bunch of little girls playing a game making up the rules as they go along. The administrators are as evidenced by their ability to create this new interface are capable on this area but are not comfortable writing instructions. If there are any individuals experienced in the writing of instructions they are candidates for the next draft. I have seen a number of omissions and and not the best formatting in some of the instructions in PN. Please don't blame the admins if they slack on the insts. I have seen that in the computer and other industries the mavens can do but suck at describing how to do something on paper. I'm talking about the fortune 500 outfits.

I'm now totally lost. If I see an image I like, I 'like' it. If others 'like' my images, I appreciate it (although sometimes I don't understand why !). When I post an image, I try to give it an apposite (or hopefully amusing) title. I am guilty of occasionally putting what I considered to be relevant comments in the forum. I have also just suggested a discussion be continued elsewhere, as I felt it was going against the ethos of 'No Words'.
  • Like 2

How many discussion debates have we had over the years concerning the rating system, validity of critiques, etcetera? Yes, likes dilute the subject down to a FarceBook level of inane banality. There are also matters of popularity and internal cliques that form around those of us that are regular posters and visual dialogists. But there are useful purposes to them. One of the finest I see is to encourage emerging and new (to posting here at least) photographers and artists to continue displaying their work. Such is VERY useful in focusing ones direction in the art--and increasing the amount of time and effort put into it.

This is why I am finding the various photo posting boards on the forum of more value than the personal gallery side of PN. Some images we all post are quite spectacular. Others are dreadfully reminiscent of a long night of Carousel clickety-clack boredom with Grandpa tediously replaying faded ghosts of a halcyon past. But in each instance, the fact that someone cares to take notice--maybe not so much as to the worth of the image--but the validity of the person doing the work and presentation--is priceless.

NWF and others have invited me to pore over my catalog of images seeking matches for thread themes. There is stuff there that I have had for years--and dismissed out of hand as mundane or trite. With fresh eyes and new skills I am finding thing that are worth developing. Just today, I spent most of it printing a new set of proofs for a portfolio book that comes with me to talk to a new gallery possibility. Most have not been seen here on PN--but would not exist if I had not obsessed a bit on delving about in the mathom closet for a bit of approbation as a photographer.

Do I always give those known to me or unknowns entering the fray a like? Nope. Nor do I expect the same. Sometimes it is given just as a thank you for being here and enriching my life a bit. Sometimes for an image that may not be really anything but a snapshot--but it made me smile or feel a memory of something.

YMMV... :cool:

Edited by PapaTango

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

A question about No Words. I don't know if this happens with email alerts, but it happens with my internal PN alert system. Usually, when someone posts to a No Words forum, I don't get an alert that a followup has been made to a thread I'm watching. Since there are so many followups in No Words, that seems like a good idea. So I just check back periodically to the threads I've participated in to see what's come after my own post. But there are a few regulars who, whenever they post a photo to No Words, generate one of those alerts and I can't figure out why that's happening with only a few people, and it happens every time with those few people. Anyone got a guess as to why?

Because they are special? :rolleyes:

My guess is that it is because they are 'the usual suspects' of prolific NWF material. The way Xenforo thread notifications work is that ONLY the first new reply will generate an email alert. One has to surf off to the site, and open the thread before the system says "AHA!" and sends you further notifications. Simply reading it in the email alert body without a site visit does not trigger that process. Make more sense?

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

Sorry, Papa. Doesn't work that way for me. As I said, it's always the same few people but not the most prolific posters and they're not normally the first new reply. That's the way it works, and I understand that, in all the other forums on PN. For instance, I got an alert that you posted to this thread and it even says in the alert "there may be other posts after this one." That's because you posted text. But, in No Words, I only and consistently get alerts, whether they're first or not, that dcstep and bertliang have posted and I've never received an alert that Ian or Luis or Gordon or Colin or most others have posted. My guess is that just posting a photo doesn't generate an alert because I get very few alerts over in No Words, except for the two I named and a couple of others. It may be the way they are uploading their photos, as I think about it. Maybe they do something differently than others which makes the system think they've posted text. I know one can post directly from Instagram and other social media and wonder if that might have something to do with it. You post to No Words. Do you get an alert when Luis posts? How about when Bertliang posts? Maybe you have alerts turned off or different settings. No big deal. And thanks for responding and trying! Appreciate it.