"Like" Domke F-803

There have been innumerable threads on this forum as too which bag is

the most suitable for our Leicas. Invariably the Domke F-803 is

listed at or very near the top of user lists. This bag does however

carry a not insignificant price tag (Leica hardware excepted !!).

Whilst trawling everyones' favourite auction site I came across

a "Like" Domke F-803 from a dealer in Shanghai. Having just received

it, I can say it is of remarkable build quality, one hell of a clone,

& a veritable bargain at about a quarter of the Domke price. I have

absolutly no connection with the seller whose *bay shop can be found

at RJ Camera Accessory Store (also does "F-802s").

>Ellis Vener , jun 06, 2005; 04:56 a.m.

>So if it is "a clone", and you recommend it, does this also mean you support copyright as

well as patent violations?

If Domke is concerned, they have them tossed off eBay. How is that Leica doing, Ellis?

The Safrotto CF-700 that David is talking about is a much better bag than the current Domke F-803. The current Domkes are not a patch on the old ones; thin canvas, poor quality stitching and increasingly expensive. These Safrottos are made of very thick canvas (so thick its tough to stitch them well), have a wider and sturdier strap along with a shoulder pad, and an extremely well made insert with a proper base.

The company makes versions of several Domke bags both smaller and larger than the F-803, and only for the fact that I have an old F-2 I would get the Safrotto equivalent of that bag too. I was in a store a couple of weeks ago and examined a Domke F-2 and I couldn't believe how poor the bag is. Yes the shipping is ridiculous on the bags from China, but you get a quality of workmanship and materials that is way better than the current Domke offerings, and the total price of a Safrotto + shipping is lower than buying/shipping the Domke equivalent from a NYC discount store.

I have the Safrotto CF-500 for my dSLR. It is very close to a Domke F-3 and looks pretty tough. The canvas is thick and the seams are so so. Could be better but is not bad. Compared to a LowePro Stealth Reporter it looks better made.

When I was in the Navy, my seams sewing sails where better, but I had a Chief who took care about quality and not cost, especialy with the ensigns he had to drill :-)

And to copyright, I don't know if the copyright still exists and if Domke still exists. My bag has big Safrotto Stickers on the sidepockets and two instead of one front pocket. As long as Domke doesn't own a copyright on all blue canvas bags it can't be seen as a copy.

<i>So if it is "a clone", and you recommend it, does this also mean you support copyright as well as patent violations?</i><p>

Ellis. What patent? The only relevant <a href="http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=4260004.WKU.&OS=PN/4260004&RS=PN/4260004">Domke patent</a> that I could find is expired and, therefore, not enforceable. And, what copyright are you referring to? Do you mean trademark?

Get supporting facts or share them if you have them before throwing around loaded questions, basically accusing someone of willfully infringing or encouraging infringement of alleged intellectual property rights.

And, back to the topic, my brother-in-law has this 'clone' 803 bag. It's slightly larger than the 'real' 803 and I think it's nicer. The canvas material is softer to the touch, but feels thicker. Also, the strap has a nice removable/slidable snap-on shoulder pad. Nice bag.