Lightweight, strong tabletop tripod

derick_miller

I am looking for a lightweight, strong tabletop tripod. The legs should support at least 11 Lbs/5 kg. The weight should be under 1 Lb/500 gr.

The FML CP10 and Feisol TT-15 and Basicball are the top 3 contenders so far.

I would like to have the option to mount the Benro GD3WH geared head on the legs.

The most challenging load expected is a GFX 50r with an L bracket, RF flash controller and 110mm lens attached.

Thank you for sharing suggestions.

The RRS table-top tripod is lightweight and very strong, and costs about $120. I don't have much use for a table-top tripod, but if I did, the RRS version would merit a look. (One thought was screwing a small tripod to the base of a monopod.) RRS makes other "ground level" tripods with higher capacity and more flexibility, and more expensive.

With a heavy camera like the Fuji, you might consider using a slider plate so the camera could be balanced over the center of the tripod, particularly when it is tilted. Otherwise the CG could easily fall outside the leg circle.

Really Right StuffPocket Pod

Edited by Ed_Ingold
  • Like 1

Thank you for the helpful suggestions! Especially about the slider plate.

Using the tabletop head as the base for a monopod is a great idea to magnify usefulness of a gear purchase. It doesn't apply for me, since I have the Sirui P-324s monopod which has a removable tripod at the base. That tripod is fixed in height and substantial in weight and size (too much to fit my portable solution needs), but it is a useful consideration for future seekers.

For future seekers: If it were going to support a monopod, I think the weight support ability would be more significantly challenged since the XX Lbs of camera plus head would be balanced atop the far end of a lever (the monopod). So a tripod to fill this roll should be more substantial than otherwise.

In my case, I have a monopod attached to a Ronin S gimbal, to support that substantial weight for longer shots while remaining mobile. The Ronin comes with a mini-tripod, which attaches to the bottom of the handle/battery. It is used mostly while setting gimbal up and balancing the camera. I would never take my hand off a camera atop a monopod, tripod base or not. But the tripod would lend some stability during the balancing process, and possibly for shooting too. For now, bracing the monopod between my knees seems to do the trick.

The load capacity of a tripod (or monopod) is largely determined by the strength of the leg joints. The little RRS tripod legs are machined from solid aluminum, and have no joints other than the pivot.

• Like 1

The Leitz tabletop tripod is my go-to. It may be a shade over a pound, but only just-B&H lists the legs at .55lbs in their package, and the head is 8 oz. It's rock solid and I've put a ridiculous amount of weight on mine-including a 4x5 monorail.

They're $$$ new(close to $400 for the head+legs), but they've probably been made for the better part of 70 years(mine came with a IIIc outfit) and don't seem to bring a ton of money on Ebay when I've looked at them.

• Like 1

The Leica tabletop tripod doesn't fold straight, rather with the legs together, 60 degrees from the center part. You need to adjust the position of the legs each time you open it up. They swivel about the center, not just folding out, and at only one height. The heads are well-made, but pricey. I somehow lost the platform and stud from mine, which I've had since the mid '60s.
  • Like 1

The Leitz tabletop tripod is my go-to. It may be a shade over a pound, but only just-B&H lists the legs at .55lbs in their package, and the head is 8 oz. It's rock solid and I've put a ridiculous amount of weight on mine-including a 4x5 monorail.

They're $$$ new(close to $400 for the head+legs), but they've probably been made for the better part of 70 years(mine came with a IIIc outfit) and don't seem to bring a ton of money on Ebay when I've looked at them.

+1 on the Leitz tabletop tripod/ball head--I once used it to hold my 9 lb. 4x5 Toyo (level, of course) for a shot in a tiny room with no space for my usual tripod.

• Like 1

I agree also about the great Leica TT tripod. The swivelling legs are an advantage as it allows it fit on more kinds of surface. I pair mine with a large Leica ballhead and it is a great combination as it provides elevation: most suitable ballheads are rather short. It should work well for the Fuji, although like all of these smaller tripods you have to be careful at how much you tilt the camera as it may not balance at extreme angles. The Feisol TT is also good and a bit more stable in a normal configuration, but I miss the rotatable legs, although it does have adjustable leg angles which you might think more useful. Best to try them out in advance of purchase.
  • Like 1
Robin Smith

The trouble is that putting a large, heavy camera on a table-top tripod requires a lot of spread of the legs to keep it from tipping over, then the 'small' tripod gets bigger and is no longer 'table top'.

Some 'regular' tripods will allow the center post to be inserted upside down and then the camera is supported from above...

Canon-GR-80TP-04-hde.jpg.cc689bb98c841ef5b8bbcea7a895bb83.jpg

Not what you're looking for, but a very handy Canon grip/tripod (GR-80TP)

Table Trépied Canon gr-80 TP

• Like 1