Lightroom v1.0 available NOW

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by bdp, Feb 18, 2007.

1. bdp

bdp

I know this isn't Photography directly, but a lot of us edit with Photoshop or
    lightroom, so.... LIGHTROOM v1.0 is NOW available. Log into your adobe account
    on their site and you can DL v1.0 of LightRoom.

My initial thought.. NICE interface, and it's MUCH faster than beta 4.1 was..
    by light-years!

Bob

2. I got the download earlier today, and have been playing with it. Umm, I think this IS photography related :)
    I tried the Beta last night, and crashed, and crashed, and couldn't save anything, but this version is REALLY nice. Hope I still think so in 30 days when I have to pay for it!

3. I bought it today, WOW! This is everything I had hoped it would be.

Well, almost. You can forget using PSE3 with it. To guarantee compatability with LR Develop module, you need to have an editor that can use ACR 3.7

4. Could someone please explain to me what exactly Lightroom is supposed to be? It seems more like a new interface for Photoshop built specifically for Photographers. Is that right?

I know Aperture is always seen as a competitor but I don't see it. I honestly don't. Aperture is organization and BASIC editing and works WITH Photoshop (extremely well). Am I missing something?

Thanks! I appreciate anyone's clarification as I'd love to use Lightroom as long as it won't disrupt my workflow (and PS is just a huge app with tons of stuff I just don't use).

5. Anyone downloading the Mac version? I'm just curious.<p>
    I don't recall there was a differentiation when I ordered.
    <p>
    Now when I go to the download page it only shows a Windows version download. Is this just a
    typo on the page? Or do I have to contact Adobe and tell them I need the Mac version? I just
    phoned their customer support and they're closed now.
    <p>
    Anyone on a Mac seeing the same thing?

6. Now when I go to the download page it only shows a Windows version download.
    Oh well, they gave us Mac users the beta version first, so maybe they're making us wait for the final! :)
    Amazon is selling the CD boxed version for $197, a whole $2 off! If you're in Amazon Prime, you get free 2-day shipping as well.

7. For the Mac OS X version, go to:
    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/
    and click on the "Try it for 30 days" link.

I downloaded and installed it with no problems at all

G

8. "Could someone please explain to me what exactly Lightroom is supposed to be? It seems
    more like a new interface for Photoshop built specifically for Photographers. Is that right?"

Lr v1.0 is a stand alone product, not a new interface for Photoshop. It does about 95%
    -100% of what Photoshop is used for by probably 80% of photographers who use
    Photoshop use that program for. And it adds a Digital Asset MAnagement side for
    building libraries of images. That is a significant addition in my opinion.
    First what I'm not thrilled with: sharpening and noise reduction at this point is rather
    simplistic. This will change no doubt change as companies that have traditionally
    developed Photoshop plug-ins (Pixelgenius for Photokit; Picture Code for Noise Ninja;
    etc.) will create new modules for Lr. Related to this I think is the absence of being able to
    work on layers in Lr.

What I do like about it beyond the DAM portion:

It is fast and seems to be streamlined. Because it has been designed specifically for
    photographers it doesn't have all the other parts of Photoshop that non Photographers
    utilize. Photoshop got so large as it is the go to tool by every community that uses digital
    visual tools to create their final product: graphic designers, commercial printers, web site
    designers, animators, illustrators, architects, filmmakers, etc. (And now back to Lr!)

I really like the parametric curve adjustments --something you'll also see in Adobe Camera
    Raw 4 for Photoshop 10 (AKA: PsCS3). This means that you can use the curves tool to
    adjust 4 separate areas --shadows, darks, brights, highlights --of an image's tonal curve
    without affecting the rest of the curve. You can also adjust the width of each of these areas
    so for example if you are just trying to save some fine details in the upper highlights in a
    white wedding dress, and have the grooms black tuxedo have some detail you really just
    tweak those areas of tone without all of the selection and masking steps you need to do
    in Photoshop.

I have also come to like the layout of the interface.

The big advantage for me is Lightroom that just speeds things up.

I think that a lot of people who currently are using PsCS or PsCs2 , if they start using Lr
    will be thinking twice before upgrading to PsCS3 when it is released in a couple of
    months.

9. Has the ability of Bridge to perform batch operations been carried over into LR?

10. "Has the ability of Bridge to perform batch operations been carried over into LR?"

I don't use Bridge so can't say, however in LR I can select images I've put in a collection, for example, and apply selected portions of tone curve setting to them all and send them off to a printer or to a web server with a couple of clicks.