Lightroom replacement

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by fotolopithecus, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Spearhead

Spearhead Moderator

Why would anyone do this? It's simply an organizational tool that takes up little space. Deleting it serves no purpose and does away with the ability in the future to use its organizational capabilities for old images.

2. I don't need or want the organization tool in Lightroom. I don't want to follow the rules required to use a database.

3. My objection to Lightroom is not the subscription price - I can understand the arguments in favour of it. But what really bugs me is that Adobe insists on installing various background processes whose purpose is obscure. Yes, I use Lightroom, but I do lots of other things on my computer (a Mac), and I do not want anything running in background unless it is necessary for my current task. I wish that Lightroom behaved: it can check for updates and licenses when I launch it, or periodically while it is running. There is really no need for it to be doing anything at all after I quit Lightroom.

Brad_ likes this.
  4. Just as a reminder. Those using Macs will loose the capability to run legacy (32-bit) apps when High Sierra's replacement comes out (e.g., LINK). Windows has its own ways around the legacy problems....

So if you mean to keep updates coming in the future, you need to check before you leap.

Myself, I run too many older programs so I will just stay with High Sierra, where they mostly work fine, for the time being.

5. I decided to cancel my adobe subscription and have jumped into learning my workflow with Skylum. I'm actually quite impressed with Auroa.