Lightroom replacement

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by fotolopithecus, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Norman

Norman Norman T Naffington

No one forgot PS. This thread is about LR o_O

Can’t comment on collaboration but I wouldn’t recommend LR Cloud for the road where networks are not as reliable, fast or secure.

2. Lightroom and Photoshop are bundled together in the $10/mo deal.

I didn't say Lightroom Cloud was for everyone. For some, it might be the best choice.

3. Really, how close? Seems more like $695 new, $149 upgrades?

4. $700 is still a piece of change. Lightroom hit $300 at some point in time. Haven't given it much thought since CC.

5. About 6 months ago I came to the conclusion that Adobe was going in a direction I didn't want.
    I downloaded and started to learn Darktable. Took my time. Created a table in MS Word with LR actions i frequently use on the left and the DT method for doing the same thing on the right. DT has extensive Help on the web and many youtube videos - both of which helped.
    When I got to the printing stage I added Epson Print Layout (I use a p800). It works great and supports all the settings I need - ABW mode for black and white, platen gap, width, etc. Everything...and very easy to use.

Bottom line: I love DT and EPL. Even if LR went back to desktop I wouldn't switch back. DT is more powerful and almost as easy to use...once you take a little time to get the hang of it. Much better masking, better color balance, better split toning...and that's for starters. Lots of stuff is just better.

My freedom from the Adobe Lightroom Captive Cloud comes in 3 phases:
    Phase 1: All new photos are done in DT. No new photos started in LR. Achieved two weeks ago.
    Phase 2: All photos currently being edited in LR are completed. I have about 20 that are in process...I finish 2 a week...so i should be free by end of year or so.
    Phase 3: Convert all LR finished images to high res TIFF or JPG so that in future I can easily print them in EPL again if I want, or edit further in DT if I want. Obviously i can also edit the original image in DT anytime as well. I anticipate being done in February.

If I can do this transition you can do it. No reason to pay a new utility bill for the rest of your life when there is a better alternative out there. Just be systematic in your approach, take your time, learn DT and EPL, and plan your transition as I have done.

6. I’m not goin* to try to anticipate what Adobe might do. I’m going with Classic, and if they do something’s no different down the road, I’ll deal with it then.

7. You also forgot Photoshop. That was close to $1000 for the last non-subscription version, plus $200 every year or so for upgrades ;)
    Really, how close? Seems more like $695 new, $149 upgrades?

-----

Adobe has had a monopoly for long which is why they could charge so much before the subscription model and which is why the subscription model seems like a bargain now. Affinity Photo, the most complete alternative to Photoshop, costs around $50 and not $695 and I haven't had to pay for an Affinity upgrade since I've bought the first version of Photo.

Where I am a subscription is around 12€ / $14 per month for PS and Lightroom. I will keep using the standalone Lightroom as I see no benefit in using the cloud version.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Brad_ likes this.
  8. DxO Optics Pro is now DxO PhotoLab. It's excellent and finally has local adjustments. DxO's PRIME noise reduction may be the best NR you can buy. They have a free 30-day trial. A big plus for me, besides being a super RAW converter, is that PhotoLab doesn't try to organize your files for you. That's a negative for some and a big positive for me.

9. It is. But it's not a grand! You get an iPhone X for that.

10. And don't forget: DT is free!!!

11. The oost of Photoshop as a one-time license is moot. Except for CS6 ($150), it is not available in that package.

From a financial point of view, the monthly lease is a bargain. If the present value of Photoshop is $700, it would take nearly 6 years to pay that amount in monthly installments of $10. Furthermore $700 would be money now, wheres the installments are money then. That leave more cash in your pocket for other things. Adobe gets roughly a 17% ROI in distributed cash flow, which is a good thing to present to management. Lightroom is virtually free in the bargain.

Lightroom and Photoshop are the best there is. Lightroom saves me time, which more than pays for the expense. It takes money to develop good software. There's no free lunch.

marc_bergman|1 likes this.
  12. Again, it's not a bargain if you are a Lightroom-only user who needs support for new raw formats, but not Photoshop. In the UK, LR6 costs £104. Upgrading every 18 months or so from the previous version used to cost £60, and you could skip a version. 18 months of the cheapest subscription that includes LR is £180. Adobe just wants more money, and the success of the CC subscription scheme shows enough people are prepared to pay it. If only half of regular LR users convert to a subscription, Adobe will still come out ahead.

13. It's definitely not its present value. Not with the other alternatives out there today which are arguably better and at a much better price. You'd think that Photoshop is a religion the way some photographers keep sticking to it.

14. You could save money buying only one shoe, but for most (not all) you need a pair to be fully functional. That's how I feel about Lightroom and Photoshop - left shoe, right shoe. YMMV.

In Adobe's model, you have to connect to the internet and log in to Adobe from time to time to continue using the product. If there is a lapse, you have a grace period in which the product is still fully functional in demo mode.

Office 365, on the other hand, requires an internet connection nearly every time you use it, or it doesn't open at all. when it does open, it takes two tries to open an email attachment, punctuated with a force quit (Mac).

Adobe DNG Converter is free, and generally up to date. All versions of Lightroom recognize DNG files. Most camera manufacturers offer a free converter for their products, sometimes two (Sony has a limited version of Capture One in addition to their own converter).

I sense an underlying resentment that Adobe makes money from their products. Good! We've tried the other way, leaving the old Soviet Union with an economy the size of Maine's.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  15. It's quite the contrary. The fact that Photoshop isn't worth $700 today as a standalone and has therefore moved to a subscription model (making it seem like a bargain) is a consequence of the free market and the way how the technology being used and pioneered by its original makers (who sold it to Adobe) has now matured and has spread over to other software developers besides Adobe.

16. Somehow I think western capitalism will survive mild criticism of software company price gouging, though sometimes I feel Adobe fans are as keen to suppress dissent as any Soviet commissar :)

But right now the free market seems to be swinging into operation. Affinity got quite a boost from the end of perpetual licences for PS and Illustrator, while the latest announcement seems to be doing the same thing for LR alternatives. I think we'll end up with a much better choice of tools than we had in the near-monopoly era of CS.

17. Adobe is doing pretty good financially with the Creative Cloud. According to Reuters (Adobe's cloud push fuels profit beat, shares surge),
    "Revenue in Adobe’s digital media business, whose flagship product is the Creative Cloud, rose 29 percent to $1.21 billion in the second quarter, beating analysts’ estimate of $1.17 billion, according to financial data and analytics firm FactSet."
    With profits like this, there will be no going back stand-alone software for Adobe.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    marc_bergman|1 likes this.
  18. I own Lightroom 5.7, which I have never really used because I never got around to migrating all my Aperture files (and would lose all of my Aperture edits, if I did). Recently, I purchased a new Canon 5D IV. I initially intended to subscribe to Photoshop and Lightroom CC, since my copies of Lightroom and Photoshop CS5 do not support the camera. However, I am quite impressed by Canon's Digital Photo Professional's RAW conversions and lens correction profiles. I also own Affinity, which supports the camera.

The Canon 5D IV supports dual cards, CF and SD, so my approach is now to capture RAW images on the CF card and jpeg images on the SD card. I import the jpeg images into Aperture and store the RAW files separately. If I want to edit a RAW image, I look at the jpeg in Aperture file and then find the same file number and date for the corresponding file of RAW images. I then open it in DPP and make adjustments. If further editing is needed, I then send the file to CS5 as a tiff image, edit it, and then save it in a separate edited images file. I can also open the RAW file in Affinity, edit it, and save it in the separate edited images file. My editing approach must look rather contorted, but after much practice is really rather quick and efficient.

Here is a simple flow diagram, without the blocks for decision making steps.

5D IV editing flow diagram.jpg

19. Looking over all the entries in this post I am curious as to why absolutely no one mentions ACDSee Ultimate 2018. Why is this?