<p>I have some image files in the wrong place in my Lightroom files. For example I have a file called "church model shoot" that should be filed under CAMERA CLUB/outings. For some reason I found it under TESTS. I probably imported it there by mistake. When I am in LIBRARY mode I try to click on the file and move it to the proper location(Camera/ Club Outings). When I get it there and release it a dialogue box comes up to tell me that a file named "church model shoot" already exists at that location. Yet in the LIBRARY mode it does not show up. If I go to IMPORT the file shows up under Camera Club/ Outings with the images grayed out indicating that they have already been imported.<br>

If I go to Photoshop/ Bridge the files show up in their proper place . Why does the file not appear in my Lightroom catalogue.</p>

<p>As long as the image file physically exists on your computer you can recover from this, although you may lose your edits.</p>

<p>Most of the problems I have with the Lightroom catalog are caused by the image previews getting messed up and not matching the actual images. That may or may not be the problem here, but it's easy to fix, although it may take a long time. Just use Windows Explorer or Finder to delete Lightroom's catalog previews folder and then start Lightroom and go to Library -> Previews -> Render Standard Sized Previews. Lightroom will happily spend a few hours looking at each image and creating a new preview for it, because you deleted the one Lightroom already had. That has solved a lot of problems for me. </p>

<p>If that didn't work, I would try this: First, exit Lightroom and use Windows Explorer or Finder to locate the problem images and move them someplace safe -- a flash drive, another hard drive, another folder -- just somewhere that Lightroom doesn't know about. You don't want to lose these images. Then start Lightroom and sync your entire catalog. Lightroom should report that those problem images are now missing and offer to go find them. Just decline the offer and delete the images from Lightroom. They will now be removed from the Lightroom catalog and also from the location Lightroom thinks your images are stored (because you moved them). Once you get Lightroom's catalog to match the images actually stored in your images folders, you can re-import the problem images to the correct place from wherever you hid them. They will be brand-new in Lightroom.</p>

<p>Hope that makes sense and please use EXTREME caution if you start deleting stuff. It would be very easy to get confused and delete something important.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>***** Does this makes sense to you, Andrew?</p>

<p>Just had this happen myself. I imported my nieces birthday pictures into my France catalog. Did all the edits (didn't want to lose them). </p>

<p>You have to select the images you want to move, then choose File, Export as new catalog. That will keep your edits, etc. Then open your Camera Club catalog and choose File, Import from another catalog (or maybe it's just File, Import, From catalog) and pick the one you just created. </p>

<p>After testing it worked properly, delete them from your Tests catalog and make sure you just delete them from the catalog, not from disk. </p>

<p>Thanks again for your help Andrew Travis ans Matt. I am realize now that after I move images into a file I have to go through the sync folder step before they show up. Also if I pay more attention to where I import images they are more likely to show up where I want them. </p>