Lightroom: "File Not Found"

Why does Lightroom give me a "File Not Found" warning sometimes, but not at other times.

Here is the scenario: Import RAW files from external HDD into LR(Library mode); Develop, make prints.

Quit LR. Shut off HDD, Shut off Computer(Mac G4). Return next day or a week later, turn on Computer,

turn on HDD, open LR, select Library mode, choose photo(already in the LR Library), move to Develop

mode, get "File Not Found" warning--no develop, no print possible. If I delete all the files, then re-import

them, LR works normally. What unbelievably simple thing am I overlooking? Thanks, Keith B.

I don't know but I mimic your question. I had this exact problem this weekend. For some of the files I would click on the file folder that is missing in the light room directory and then right click and it would give me an option to find file and i could reassoicate the files. But on one file it would not reassoicate for some reason and I cant for the life of me figure it out.

Nick

I've experienced similar issues (and I'm using Windows XP, BTW), but my experiences come when I swap USB ports on the external harddrive, so that it changes the mapped drive (D: vs G:). LR seems to go through a search upon startup to locate the files where they were last mapped to, so if you haven't started up the harddrive before you start LR, you'll likely need to re-map manually, but I think you can get away with closing LR, making sure you're HDD is active and mapped to its usual drive, and then start LR. Hopefully this helps.