Lightroom export sharpening when Resize to Fit is unchecked

I understand how on export LR3 can do output sharpening given a "Resize to Fit" setting and a resolution. (I

sometimes use PhotoKit Sharpener, so I'm familiar with its settings.)

(Although I do wonder why the resolution is a user setting, and isn't calculated when the Resize-to-Fit dimensions are given in inches. It seems that, given a given image size in pixels, a user-selected size in inches, and a user-selected resolution, the numbers are over-constrained. However, that's not my real question.)

What I don't get is what LR does when "Resize to Fit" is unchecked. All the algorithm then has are the pixel

dimensions of the final image, with no idea of the ultimate print size, and therefore no idea of the resolution.

Does it just guess at a common size, say 8x10?

Can anyone supply some info? If someone named Andrew Rodney is listening, that would be my first choice. ;-)

--Marc

<p>From looking at what is being done it is assuming you will be printing or web publishing at the full dimensions (in inches or cm) at the resolution you are exporting with. So if you cropped in the develop module to 8x10, you'll get all the pixels that fit inside your crop at 300ppi. whether that matches the resolution your printer uses for an 8x10 print is another question</p>

<p>Unless they are going straight to the web without any post processing I export at @ 300ppi and use Photokit Sharpener 2 as an output sharpener once I know the size, , printing process and type of surface at particular version will be reproduced with.</p>

@Ellis:

I'm focusing on the case when PhotoKit Sharpener isn't to be used.

It occurred to me after I posted that in the Export panel the Resolution edit field is enabled even when Resize to Fit is not checked, so perhaps that's the key: Given the original pixel dimensions and the desired resolution, output sharpening can proceed. If this is true, then at least there is a way, although it's unfortunate that I have to do the arithmetic myself.

Sure would be nice to get confirmation that this model is accurate.

By the way, when I'm going to use PK Sharpener, I don't export. Instead, I just invoke LR's Edit in Photoshop command and take it from there in Photoshop.

<blockquote>

<p><em>@ marc: </em><em>By the way, when I'm going to use PK Sharpener, I don't export. Instead, I just invoke LR's Edit in Photoshop command and take it from there in Photoshop.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>great idea. I forget about that option. </p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>@Howard M: Ellis, do you do that w/ a droplet or something? Pls explain, thank</em>s.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>As an action. </p>