Lightroom confusion...

<p>I downloaded the demo version of Lightroom 3, to give it a try. My initial judgment is very positive, but since used to understand the logic behind a software I'm still confused... I read articles on the web, but I cannot find a clear explanation of how Lightroom manage my image files. In particular what happens to my images when I import them in Lightroom? How does a Lightroom catalog works? And what about the adjustments I make on my raw files? Are they embedded in the raw files themselves? Should I always export my files to common pixel formats (like .tiff) to get the maximum compatibility with other (future) applications?<br>

Thank you if you would spend your time to give my a clear explanation of the behaviour of Lightroom "behind the scene".<br>

Alberto.</p>

<p>There are some good books out there that can help -- in my mind the best is Martin Evening's book. With that said:</p>

<ul>

<li>When you import images into lightroom they're in the catalog. There's a folder on the left of the Library screen that shows where the images are located physically on your disk(s), and you can change this within Lightroom if you please. What you should probably be doing is tagging your files when you import them with names, places, categories, so they're easy to search for later.</li>

<li>The catalog is the database of your images. </li>

<li>When you make adjustments they're stored in addition to the raw files themselves, so you can always go back to the original image. This is why previews can take some time to load -- first the raw image is loaded, then each additional change you've made is applied to the preview. Totally non-destructive.</li>

<li>I just keep my images in Lightroom, but I've been using it since version 1 came out. Future compatability is always a good question. Should you convert raws to DNG format? I don't know -- as long as I've got Lightroom it'll work on the images that I've imported using it. If I decide to move to something else? I'll figure that out when I get there.</li>

</ul>

<p>Good explanation, I would add that key wording and metadata are a big value add because you can create custom filters (in Library Mode) to find certain types of files.<br>

For example (you can do this on Import or after) if I am importing some nature/wildlife shots, I would use these keywords. nature, wildlife, birds, herons, "location name". Some of this info (location, date etc) is also in the Keyword panel where you can also edit that to add way more detail.<br>

Your camera info (model, lens, exposure etc) is automatically added via the EXIF data in your camera so you can filter by that as well.<br>

I like Scott Kelbys books and there are numerous videos on the web on Youtube and photo sites.</p><div>00WxxN-264531584.jpg.331ea41f00aeceeb60bff6c5f519eef0.jpg</div>

<p>Lightroom is amazing however it does have a steep learning curve. I found myself cursing it out more than once during my first few weeks of using it but all the pain is well worth it. Stay with it and it will get easier.</p>

<p>I found online tutorials very helpful. Check out <a href="http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/">http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/</a> and <a href="http://lightroomkillertips.com/">http://lightroomkillertips.com/</a> as a starter.</p>

<p>As a quick answer to your question, the default LR configuration is that LR does not edit your original file. Instead it creates a sidecar file that has all of the changes. This is all tracked through the catalog. There is no need to export your files. </p>

<p>One thing to clarify:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>In particular what happens to my images when I import them in Lightroom?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Your photos are never <em>in</em> Lightroom. When you Import, what you're doing is telling Lightroom about the file. In the process you can copy it elsewhere, rename it, convert it to DNG format, etc. But it's still not <em>in</em> Lightroom.</p>

<p>The Lightroom catalog is a database, which stores the location of your photo files, and a bunch of information about them including a list of changes you'd like made to them. It never changes your raw files, it just maintains a list of changes to be made when you export or print.</p>

<p>One of the important ramifications of this is backups. Lightroom's built-in backups are just the catalog, not the photo files. You need a separate backup mechanism for them. Another ramification is that if you move or rename the photo files or their folders outside of Lightroom, you'll need to point Lightroom to the updated location.</p>

<p>Actually just imported into lightroom, the same system Id been using for decades on computers. Have a Folder heading, say "National Parks" a sub-folder for each park, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Organ Pipe, Yosemite, etc... Then another sub-folder under each one, by date that I shot them.<br>

Thus I might have:<br>

National Parks<br>

Grand Canyon<br>

1970, 1971, 1972, etc<br>

Yosemite<br>

1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, etc.<br>

Keeping only the best on computer each year. Id burn them and some second best by individual Parks to a DVD. That was a good idea. Since getting Lightroom, have gone back and reworked quite a number of them in LR and PS, some turned out better than the original "best" as I learned more.<br>

When I began using Lightroom in V1, just imported all files in My Pictures, and it held them all in the same set of Folders and sub-folders, etc... Now have resorted to the same system on 1 tbyte drives, with a 1 tbyte to back up to daily. But, I still burn all the best to DVDs... and put a copy the catalog for the folders on the DVD.<br>

It takes a bit of learning curve to get accustomed to Lightroom. But its the best thing Ive found, since my Darkroom. Finally dismantled it after using it since 1937. Maybe this is proof, than an "old dog can learn new tricks.: ;)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>No one mentioned the thumbnails file structure, which is in addition to the catalog, and can be very large. It can be deleted, and it will rebuild itself automatically over time.<br>

The product manager for Lightroom said that going with DNG is a good idea, because cameras are always changing, and companies may not support the hundreds of formats that they put out over time. It's like there's a new format every time a new camera is announced. DNG is a standard that will be supported, and compression is good. I use Pentax and it has a DNG feature, but the files are 50 percent bigger than the RAW files. When Adobe does the DNG conversion, it's a lot smaller.</p>