LIghtroom can't find files

<p>For some odd reason, Lightroom (both v 2.4 and 3 Beta) suddenly is unable to find files that it has previously imported. It shows the thumbnails and the Preview images, but when I try to edit in the Develop module, I get a message that the file is missing or offline. I have tried "Locate Missing Folder," but this does not correct the problem. </p>

<p>Help, please.</p>

<p>Rob</p>

<p>This has happened to me in three different situations: 1) I moved the files and hadn't told LR. This is easy to fix, just find the files and point LR at them. 2) I turned off (ejected on the Mac) the drive the photos were on and forgot that I had done that. 3) I inadvertently deleted the folder before running backups but after loading into LR. Fortunately, the last thing only happened once, but it still was incredibly stupid. Hopefully, that's not your problem.</p>

<p>Keith, the files are on a secondary internal HD. In the Library module, the files are recognized.</p>

<p>Jeff, I have pointed LR to the file locations, and they show up in the Library as they should. However, when I go into the Develop module, I get the message that the files are missing or offline.</p>

<p>Regarding synchronizing a folder, the onscreen message states that doing so will delete from the catalog all missing files. How will that solve my problem?</p>

<p>I might add, that this problem developed after I upgraded to Snow Leopard. AFAIK, Lightroom is supposed to be fully compatible.</p>

<p>Rob</p>

<p> </p>

<p>LR worked fine for me after I upgraded to Snow Leopard, although it doesn't seem real happy with Spaces, but that's another problem and doesn't obliterate files. However, when you point to a folder, the thumbnails that LR built seem to show up regardless of the presence of the original files, so the thumbnails are not an indicator. One way or another, you deleted or moved those files. LR can't do that without explicit instructions.</p>

<p>Hi Rob, I recently experience a problem after upgrading to version 2.6 where my 14,000 images would not show in Library or Develop although when I rolled over the folder, the first image in the folder would show but only in the navigator window with nothing showing in the Library view. I was totally stumped and sure my images were lost and while they were backed up I had no interest in trying to recover them until I figured out what was going on. I found the problem was in the filters. They had never been selected before so I assume it was from the upgrade to 2.6 that changed some preferences. After removing the check marks, all images showed. I am not sure if this will help you situation, but worth a look at your filter preferences.<br>

Roger</p>

<blockquote>

<p>LR worked fine for me after I upgraded to Snow Leopard, although it doesn't seem real happy with Spaces, but that's another problem and doesn't obliterate files. However, when you point to a folder, the thumbnails that LR built seem to show up regardless of the presence of the original files, so the thumbnails are not an indicator. One way or another, you deleted or moved those files. LR can't do that without explicit instructions.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Jeff,</p>

<p>Even if this is so, when I explicitly tell LR where the folders reside, it still says that the individual files are missing or offline. Yet I know that the hard drive in question is mounted.</p>

<p>Rob</p>