Lightroom 6 Support

On the Adobe site, I noticed Adobe now refers to Lightroom 6/Lightroom CC Classic [emphasis added] as one form of Lightroom and Lightroom CC as another. I also noticed the new Nikon D850 is not supported in Lightroom 6, but is supported in Lightroom CC.

Does this mean Adobe is no longer supporting Lightroom 6? I have seen no announcement about this, but I have not received any updates to my Lightroom 6, either.

Edited by bgelfand

Lightroom 6 will get new camera support until the end of the year, supposedly. Lightroom Classic is the old Lightroom CC. Lightroom CC, the new one, is a lightweight app with cloud storage designed for using across multiple platforms.

Lots of info on the Lightroom Queen's site - Lightroom CC 1.0 Released! | The Lightroom Queen

So basically, if 6.13 does not include ACR for the D850, I am hooped... On top of that, I live in Canada, so we get down scaled options from Adobe. Why does Adobe think we want to use an online version of their software if we're offline for larger parts of the year and/or have crappy internet in so many places. Oh yes... to get more cash, of course. Time for another option? What are people doing as alternatives to LR? The problem is ... a lot (all) of the processing is in xmp files. That doesn't translate to other platforms... what a mess.

Thank you Spearhead and c-Watson. It appears Adobe will try to force everyone on the subscription model. It probably will not affect me. I am 75-years old and just got my first DSLR - a Nikon D750. That is camera supported and should last me for as long as I will be interested in taking images. If it does not, I still have my darkroom and F100. <grin>

The one real "trap" in Lightroom is trying to migrate to another DAM. It was easy enough to move to Lightroom from the Photoshop Elements Organizer; all my keywords were imported for the images. Going to another DAM may prove more difficult should it become necessary.

When Adobe moved Photoshop to a subscription model, it left a bad taste in many people's mouths. With the latest - moving Lightroom to a subscription model - I am developing a real dislike for and distrust of Adobe.

So basically, if 6.13 does not include ACR for the D850, I am hooped... On top of that, I live in Canada, so we get down scaled options from Adobe. Why does Adobe think we want to use an online version of their software if we're offline for larger parts of the year and/or have crappy internet in so many places. Oh yes... to get more cash, of course. Time for another option? What are people doing as alternatives to LR? The problem is ... a lot (all) of the processing is in xmp files. That doesn't translate to other platforms... what a mess.
Apparently 6.13 will include D850 support. But yes it is, as usual, about the cash. Subscriptions are more lucrative. The biggest losers will be those who were happy with standalone LR and didn't want Photoshop. The last time I looked on Amazon, you could get a perpetual LR6 licence for about the same price as just 10 months of any CC package that includes LR.

This article may shed more light on the subject:

Adobe: No, We're Not Killing Lightroom Classic

I think the telling point is:

"Lightroom Classic has a huge and loyal following among professional photographers, though, so we’re guessing Adobe is much more committed to keeping the app itself alive than it was keeping the app’s perpetual license alive."

Since professional photographers have adopted Lightroom, they can afford a subscription model; they use it everyday and can write it off as a business expense. For us armatures, who may use it one a week, once a month, a subscription is not economical. Adobe goes with the money - they are a business. The rest of us are SOL - Sorry, Out of Luck.

Here is a link to a post by the Adobe product manager from 2013

Lightroom and the Creative Cloud

In this post he states that "Future versions of Lightroom will be made available via traditional perpetual licenses indefinitely." I suppose "indefinitely" means 4-years to Adobe. And I thought politicians were bad. <grin> Perhaps I should send him a link to the definition of the word "integrity".

Edited by bgelfand

Thanks guys! That solves it then for me ... I'll get 6.13 (hopefully I can actually buy it in Canada .. the version on B&H needs a US phone number to activate it) and call it good ... The D850 is going to come my way early next year :)

Here is one source for Lightroom 6 in Canada:

https://www.amazon.ca/Adobe-65237578-Photoshop-Lightroom-6/dp/B00VWCKJVA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508911215&sr=8-1&keywords=lightroom+6

Sigh, the beginning of the end...

I do subscribe to the Adobe Photo package--PS & Lightroom. The push seems to be that the "new" version apparently wants users to keep all of their photos on Adobe's servers--by default. Just one more way to keep the dollars flowing in...

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

It might be interesting to run both the Classic and Cloud versions simultaneously. I have both through my CC subscriptions. My library is pushing 4 TB, and would take a week to upload to the Cloud at Chicago suburb internet speed (20 MB/s). If I can start fresh rather than converting my existing library, I could use the Cloud version to go mobile with selected projects, rather than using collections and Lightroom Mobile.

• 2 weeks later...
I poked around a bit on the Adobe site for Canada but there was no option to upgrade from LR 5.7 to LR6. I may have missed it. I ended up buying a new DVD from Amazon.ca as bgelfand indicated above. If companies start doing things like what Adobe is doing, a lot of us are going to stop using their products. The value proposition is not there for retail users.

I poked around a bit on the Adobe site for Canada but there was no option to upgrade from LR 5.7 to LR6. I may have missed it. I ended up buying a new DVD from Amazon.ca as bgelfand indicated above. If companies start doing things like what Adobe is doing, a lot of us are going to stop using their products. The value proposition is not there for retail users.

Lightroom 5 is different to Lightroom 6 (also known as Lightroom 2015 CC). If the upgrade offer is no longer available, I read that Lightroom 6 would still be available until when I dunno. You can use it for the next 100yrs if you want but Lightroom 6 will no longer get camera support update or bug or security fixes after 31 December 2017. Nikon D850 will be supported with its latest/last update.

The reality is any RAW files from any camera that is released from 1 January 2018 cannot no longer be opened with Lighroom 6 unless you go with the subscription versions (either Lightroom Classic CC or Lightroom CC or Photoshop CC) - that is in the Adobe world.

This article may shed more light on the subject:

Adobe: No, We're Not Killing Lightroom Classic

I think the telling point is:

"Lightroom Classic has a huge and loyal following among professional photographers, though, so we’re guessing Adobe is much more committed to keeping the app itself alive than it was keeping the app’s perpetual license alive."

Since professional photographers have adopted Lightroom, they can afford a subscription model; they use it everyday and can write it off as a business expense. For us armatures, who may use it one a week, once a month, a subscription is not economical. Adobe goes with the money - they are a business. The rest of us are SOL - Sorry, Out of Luck.

Here is a link to a post by the Adobe product manager from 2013

Lightroom and the Creative Cloud

In this post he states that "Future versions of Lightroom will be made available via traditional perpetual licenses indefinitely." I suppose "indefinitely" means 4-years to Adobe. And I thought politicians were bad. <grin> Perhaps I should send him a link to the definition of the word "integrity".

Over here it cost $15AU every month to use just Lightroom is that is all you use. For those who use Photoshop I guess it does make up for it cos for the same $15AU it includes also Photoshop (and also Lightroom CC as well as Lightroom Classic CC).

If you're just a Lightroom user 12 months subscription is about 1 Lightroom perpetual license. Many users might not be upgrading Lightroom with every newly released version. Maybe each 3 or 4yrs so the subscription does cost more.

Those who have a current version of Lightroom, version 3, 4, 5, or 6. You can continue to use it for as long as you need until you have a newer camera is not supported or you want the new features.

• Like 1

Little do they care. The 'up and coming' users being targeted are fully committed to the subscription model for everything from streaming media to website/news access. Just another few dollars a month...

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!