Lightroom 4 Questions

<p>1. Books - Does anybody know of any additions to the books module from other printers other than blurb? Is it easy enough to do or something we should expect only with the next minor version of LR4.</p>

<p>2. How are you planning to use the geotagging feature? I can only think of showing a map of how many photos i took where for a vacation or something. More along the lines of what apple did in aperture. But that is only for personal projects. Any use you see for this from a professional use? If so can you give some examples of how you use this information to present to your clients something more interesting?</p>

<p>3. What is your idea about the process change to 2012? When we moved from the older process version to the 2010 version i went and updated all my previous photos to 2010 version. The changes were minor for the most part and so i kept them updated.<br>

I am hearing that the 2012 version can introduce some huge changes. How are you handling it?</p>

<p>4. Can anybody give a quick primer to me on the differences in the process? The slider names changed. So this what i could get from the reviews. Am i right? I am assuming<br>

The Highlight slider to the negative values does what recovery used to do.<br>

The Black slider to the negative values does what blacks used to do.<br>

The Shadows slider to the positive values does what fill light used to do.<br>

I can understand the opposite sides of these sliders. What i dont get it is the White Slider. What does it do? When do you use it?</p>

<p>5. How to use softproofing? Do I need the ICC profiles and paper profiles from MPIX etc where i get my photos printed?</p>

<p>1_no. but what i use to do wayyyy before Lr4 was to simply work, crop and export my image in jpeg quality 100 sRGB and use any other provider (in my case it was blurb anyway) and place my image in there page layout.. i must say that i always do my own page layout via Indesign or Photoshop.</p>

<p>2_not really interested personally. it append with some image when i use my Panasonic zs7, but i don't think in a near future i will take all my image to geotag them manually.</p>

<p>3_in a case by case need. the older image are update if i feel the need, every new image import will have the newer 2012</p>

<p>4_white slider is like the old brightness slider</p>

<p>5_there's a button below your image. you have to set your preference in your print menu, then before hitting print or export you go and press the soft proofing button.</p>

<p>** there's a 2hrs video @ lynda.com about all the new feature of Lr 4 ...</p>

<p>1. You can export a PDF from the Books module, which will be accepted by some other publishers. I'm sure there will be direct support for more publishers in the future.</p>

<p>3. I am not updating PV2010 files to PV2012 until needed -- when I have the time to reprocess. PV2012 is almost universally better, IMHO, but the conversion isn't straightforward. I generally end up re-processing from scratch.</p>

<p>4. Don't think of it this way -- don't try to translate from the old sliders to the new. It's an exercise in frustration. It takes a new mindset. Start from the top, and while you're setting Exposure and Contrast, look only at the midtones -- if the highlights or shadows go wonky, don't worry about it; you'll fix them with the next sliders. This is very different from PV2010, where you'd pay attention to the highlights while setting Exposure.</p>

<p>Adobe TV also has a lot of free videos on new features. As for process version, I'm finding that 2012 is very different from 2010, so I am only using 2012 on new imports. Cool thing is that LR4 will display different interface (sliders) based on the process version you're using. So you can still tweak your 2010 images with the same controls you first used rather than having to use the "new" sliders.</p>

<p>i stand corrected ; )</p>

<p>after playing with it, i find it more suitable for me to set my highlight point.. it seem to be slower and do less damage than the exposure slider (in this version of Lr).. the exposure seem to be to quick at blowing the highlight, or the general image i should say.. im working with it today to get better quick.</p>

<p>Patrick, see what I wrote earlier in this thread. Take a new approach with PV2012 -- don't pay any attention to the white point while setting Exposure. Start with Exposure, but pay attention to the midtones while you set it. Let the highlights and shadows fall where they may, then fix them with the Highlights and Shadows sliders.</p>

<p>Mark i understand that.. not what im talking about.</p>

<p>Open 1 of your image, set the value to zero. If you move the histogram itself it move the white slider. that give a smoother result to the image itself.</p>

<p>If you want, press and hold the ALT key, move the white slider until you start getting some pixel out of it.. again, the histogram move slowly, and the result on the image is smooth.</p>

<p>If i take the Exposure slider instead, and move it until the histogram is at the same place (vs the white slider histogram) i get a way more cruder effect, and if i use the ALT key with the exposure, i still get a more cruder effect if i wait until i see some pixel in the black screen..</p>

<p>here some example of what im talking about...</p>

<p>Q2 does not seem to be popular. I intend to use the GPX files from my Garmin Oregon 450T for geotagging pictures. In fact I have been doing that since some time with Geosetter.<br>

Geotagging was the reason I installed LR4 but I'm still fighting with the settings. For the moment I seem to have some time offset.</p>