Lightroom 4 (LR4) vs. Canon Digital Photo Professional (DPP)

<p>Hi all, <br>

I am interested in an updated 2012 take on the matchup between LR4 and DPP. Having limited funds, I wonder if the price of LR4 could be used elsewhere -- my next prime for instance? If money wasn't an issue, I would have a full frame camera and a lot of L's in my lens collection. Sadly, this is not the case, so I have to spend my money wisely. Is it wise to spend $$ on LR, with a free DPP in the world and so many desirable lenses to buy? Or are the features of LR so supperior that this is a must-have?<br>

Regards, <br>

Morten<br />(Canon 60d)</p>

<p>Ditto, Scott's opinion. I tried Lightroom 3.3 and 4 extensively last month. It's the first photo editing software I've tried in years that I'd actually consider buying. Mostly I use old familiar, long ago paid for copies of Paint Shop Pro and Corel Photo Paint, and freebies like Picasa. I've also used trial versions of Photoshop, Elements and several specialty programs (noise reduction, "skin tuning" stuff) but none impressed me enough to buy after the 30 day trials expired. But Lightroom really is that good.</p>

<p>@Scott, Lex and Martin: <br>

Thanks for your input. I think I have to download a trial version to try it out. Have any of you tried DPP? Because my main concern is that if i can do the same to my photos with DPP that LR can, I will probably stay with DPP and spend my hard earned $$ on something else like a lens or photo printer.<br>

Regards, <br>

Morten</p>

<p>Yes, I’ve tried DPP, but it's no match for Lightroom’s tools and its excellent image management module.</p>

<p>There’s no equivalent in DPP for LR’s local adjustment tools such as graduated filters or brushes. As pointed out above LR’s tonal controls are superb. You couldn’t achieve similar results in DPP.<br /> I also love the way you can manipulate different colours in LR by simply pointing at them and moving the mouse up or down.</p>

<p>Just try it, you won’t be disappointed.</p>

<p>Morten,</p>

<p>Yes, like Martin, I have used DPP. The only feature I like in DPP is the ability to view the focus point, a feature that Apples Aperture also has that Lightroom does not. But that really is such a small thing it isn't important.</p>

<p>Lightroom is a much better piece of software than DPP, Canon are definitely a hardware company judging by their software. Watch some tutorials, they seem to be all over the place now, and try the 30 day trial, all for free, I am sure if you spend the time on it you will realise how powerful it is.</p>