Lightroom 3 - profiles any better?

mark liddell

<p>Has anyone tried NEFs in Lightroom 3 beta yet?</p>

<p>I love lightroom 2's workflow when I have a large amount of files to deal with (weddings mostly) but it breaks my heart when I load the same file into NX2 and it has a look that I can't get with any of the lightroom profiles.</p>

<p>I'm really hoping lightroom 3 sorts this out. NX2 is no workflow tool with a travesty of UI and STILL no 64bit version.</p>

<p>Adjust an image in Lightroom to look the way you like it or how it looks in NX2...<br>

In develop mode, click on the word Develop in the top, click NEW PRESET, name it NX2 or Weddings and whatever you want. Next time load a wedding with that user preset.<br>

They may not be perfect depending on the original image, but you can fine tune them, and even create a new preset with the same name overwriting the old, until you get exactly what you want. <br>

You could even load one in NX2 and the same one in LR to get them to match.<br>

Remember, there are lots of settings in LR that few every use, adjusting with curves, HSL, sharpness, even camera calibration can create a closer preset you can then use.<br>

Creating separate ones for many purposes, a shortcut is one that comes closest, then alter settings to get what you want, create your own user preset from that one...<br>

I found one labeled ANSEL on the Internet, but it was far from what I remembered from his seminars. Altered it to fit my memories and use it frequently, making minor adjustments according to the individual image. It saves lots of time.</p>

<p>I have not tried LR3 yet.</p>

<p>If you can get ONE photo to look right, you can copy the develop settings to another photo (or several, even hundreds) that were shot in the same light. This is very easy in LR2.</p>

<p>If you just can't get it, convert the file to a TIFF in NX2 and import that TIFF into LR.</p>