Lightroom 2.1 using all my memory

<p>Hello all,<br>

The specs<br>

Vista Pro 64Bit<br>

lots of HD space (>160GB avail, 2TB avail on NAS)<br>

lots of memory (8GB)<br>

Lightroom 2.1 uses all my CPU, all Memory 90-99% and 95% or 7.3GB of Memory according to Task Manager<br>

Have dismantled even removed, rebooted LR and reinstalled<br>

Have disengaged Antivirus<br>

Yet still, LR opens up and the entire systeme crawls to a halt.<br>

It doesn't do this on my Laptop (Vista 32bit, 3GB memory)<br>

I have a feeling it's the Dell computer components, but I don't want to seem the Dell Hater here, but I can't come up with anyway to reconfigure, I'm a professional photographer, no day job during the week save making albums and post processing for my clients. So my workflow has been kind of well established and there is no real workaround when using RAW files.</p>

<p>So is there anything I might have missed in this? Someconflict that is going on with LR and another program?<br>

No, I haven't updated or changed, or added any programs lately, or within the last 3 months, but within the last week LR2.1 has just crawled to a halt.<br>

THanks for the help.<br>

Daniel</p>

<p>Interesting. I have much less memory on my PC and at times my PaintShop Pro Photo X2 runs out of grunt - If I find it getting sluggish when I check the fee RAM I always find it to be pretty low - down in some cases to non existent. When I experimented with LR, (trial version) I found the same. I have assumed these image editors are just memory hogs and that over a long working session with the PC being forced to keep track of multiple changes to whatever files are open it just runs out of puff. I have found that if I then run a RAM cleaner utility I can often claw back quite a lot of memory - for a while, till it happens again.<br>

I am using a HP incidentally not a Dell, and have found that these two programs are about the worst offenders in my experience - I can play high - end 3D PC games and get by pretty well. It has also occurred to me that if these programs use the video card (as some now do) this may be the culprit but I have not gotten to the bottom of it either.)<br>

I have recenly been down the path of checking my virtual memory settings etc to make sure that this was not the cause and found that it was all clear in this department.</p>

<p>Have you Defragged your HD lately, if not Id do that also.<br>

I run Diskeeper, it automaticaly defrags when the system is one but not busy. It keeps the system defragged all the time and keeps it running much more efficiently. It would benefit anyone, just do a google search for it...</p>

<p>yep it has a nasty memory leak, which made me so angry... especially as I could not go back to the lower version which did not have said leak, as it would not read my camera's raw files....</p>

<p><br />v2.2 had huge memory leaks, when you put <strong>any</strong> local adjustments on an image</p>

<p><br />v2.3 leaks memory like crazy when you put <strong>alot of</strong> adjustments, or paint a large mask encompassing more than 50 percent of the image (15 meg raw files)</p>

<p><br />I'm hoping v2.4 will finally get rid of the tiresome memory leaks on the adjustment brush</p>