Lightroom 2.1 RC is available on Adobe Labs

mark_sirota1

The Lightroom 2.1 release candidate is now available on <a

href="http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Lightroom_2.1">Adobe Labs</a>.

<p>

<i>The ‘release candidate’ label indicates that this update is well tested but would benefit from additional

community testing before it is distributed automatically to all of our customers. The Lightroom team would like

the community to help verify the quality of this update through normal usage as this will ensure that the

application is tested on a diversity of hardware and software configurations not available internally at Adobe.</i>

<p>

<i>The goal of this release is to address several bugs that were introduced with the release of Lightroom 2.0 and

provide additional camera raw support.</i>

<p>

The Labs page linked above has detail on the changes. Tom Hogarty has also posted about it at <a

href="http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/">Lightroom Journal</a>.

I don't have any problems with 1.4.

But the biggist fright of 2.0 is the claim that it's slower. I need to check at 100% view to see if an image is a possible keeper, and with 1.4 and my new 15,000 rpm drive, dual core 3.0GHz PC, that's on the slow and of the "Oh, well, I guess it's acceptable" speed range. Since there's probably a 21MP camera in the offing here, that's doubly irritating.

I wouldn't be "frightened" about that. LR2 is only slower on a few machines that, for reasons unbeknown, it "dislikes". On my dual core Athlon, 2.0 is noticeably faster...

You can try LR2 without risk to your system. Time a few things in 1.4.1 so you'll have a reference. Then backup the LRCAT file (which is easy) and the previews directory (which is a bit of work, mine is 22 gigs). Install LR2 and let it convert your 1.4.1 catalog, and time a few more things. You'll have 30 days to play, to decide if the bugs are too much. That "directory named 'pairs'" bug was almost too much for me...

Almost.

<i>1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4, and they still couldn't getting pasting settings to work on multiple images selected in the filmstrip in "develop" view.</i>

<p>

That's by design. If you're in a view with only one main image (i.e. Develop or Loupe) then changes are applied to only the current image. If you're in a view with multiple images (i.e. Grid) then changes are applied to all selected images.

<p>

(Auto Sync is one way to get changes to apply immediately to multiple images in Develop.)

• 3 weeks later...