I am being contracted to shoot some products for a catalog and it was

given me as a reference the Hermes products that I attached together

with this question.

I would like to analyze the lighting in this pictures and hope that

somebody could give me some directions on how to achieve this

lighting.

I would dare to say that all of this pictures were made with a big

haze light as a backlight and another haze light as a fill (or maybe

a big bouncer). Does this seem correct so far?

The pink towel picture have a warmer look. The light seems more

natural (natural light maybe?).

All of the pictures have a very soft look, someway softer than what

I'm used to see. What would be neeeded to achieve this look? I

understand that the shallow depth of field contributes to that. Maybe

a little overexposure?

Well, I hope that someone can help me 'dissect' this lighting

situation.

Cheers<div>00AmeO-21382984.thumb.jpg.653bb7f610cffbbdd0d8db1c6a30c921.jpg</div>

If it were me, I would try white diffusion scrim lit from above along with another diffusion

panel off to the side with a softbox or umbrella mounted on the head for double diffusion.

Not sure what equipment you have to work with but you might try that and see how far

you get. Another idea would be some sort of white light tent again lit with strobes

mounted with some sort of softening light modifier for double diffusion.

I'm sure once you start playing around in the studio, you'll come up with the solution in

short order. Good luck :-)

p.s. Ellis, feeling a little testy this morning? ;-)

"How much are you willing to pay for a consulting fee? Yo uare doing a professional job and you want professional advice. That means my or someone else's time and experience is worth something."

Following your logic no question on photo.net would have answers. Is this a photo community or a place to hire consultants?

Very sad to see that attitude coming from a Photo.net "Hero".

1st photo I would say 3 lights. Main light - Large softbox left side slightly rear, angled down. Fill light - softbox right front (opposite of main), more flat angle, about -1ev on front of folded towels. Background light - Softbox on boom arm center of set angled down across background. All lights fairly close. Either shot with wide aperture or very neat focus effect in photoshop.

Thats my best guess.

RDee

I'm not a product photographer, but I'm not blind yet, so I'll tell you what I see, the edges of the shadows are not sharply defined so this was a very big, and close diffused light source, a great amount of fill was used. These shots seem to me be on the 'high key' side exposure wise.

There is something else you need to consider, the diffused look/softness is not just a function of the light source/whether or not diffusion was used, the top image used selective focus, which tends to aid in softening of most of the image not in focus.

Some folks will do a portrait, use a very diffused light source/a lot of fill, and the image will still look relatively harsh, harshness you can soften with selective focus.

I'm not sure, but consider that some form of slight diffusion has been used, I say this because you will still have that 'crisp'/crystal clarity despite the softness of the lights/fill/selective focus used on a particular image and these images seem to me to be lacking that 'crispness', then again it may be my eyeballs or just plain fuzzy for some other reason.

If this helps I'll settle for a six pack of Ichiban premium beer.

<i>how much did you charge for the other 12,600+ messages you've posted on this site?</i>... nothing, so no more whining, okay? This question as posed with an obvious understanding of many of the tools and principles needed to make these photos. The only way to actually come to a clear understanding of these techniques is to apply them. Marcio is a self described student who has hired`himself as a professional. He has been asked to imitate the work of a professional and is asking others to help him succeed. I have to admit I understand both positions. You can hire me at $600 per day to "assist" you, I'm sure Ellis would be more. But right now I need to finish making lasagne (a higher priority)... t

Well Paul, my impression on Ellis post is that one shouldn't be considered a "hero" in a forum that pretends to allow people to interchange knowlegde if he is not ready to share it.

If someone is not interested in sharing/receiving information then there is no need for this person to be here.

I am interested in sharing and help in any way I can. I hope I can help you in the future.

if that were the case, I wouldn't have gotten out of bed this morning. Every day I try to do something I've never done before. Most of the good jobs I've had, or at least the fun ones, were doing something I not only hadn't done before, but was unsure of how exactly to do it. Alot of portraiture is like this... I am supposed to make an insightful image of a person that reveals their "soul" (ha) within 15 minutes of meeting them. Now I enjoy that process, because I know my tools and theory, and the unknowns of personality and environment present opportunities for me to spontaneously respond to, like jazz improvisation. Years ago, I would lay awake all night planning and reviewing. <p>Here it seems you have extremely simple lighting and you already have good ideas on how to on replicate it. All the subjects are matte surface, the light is flat as hell and the palette absurdly monochromatic, which will make subtle color/exposure/tonality correcting a breeze. Ascertain end usage before you begin (color space and file size), watch your histograms, meter carefully, capture in raw format with a custom white balance and stay in 16 bit as long as possible during your post. Use the same light throughout, I think the color changes are due to the color of the products, not different lighting. <p>You should be able to make this work with the knowledge you already have and tools commonly available to rent. The only advice I have for you is to project spending three times as much time on this job as you think you'll need, and to hire an experienced assistant and pay her or him twice their normal rate. Shoot variants of composition and frame loose.<p>And give Ellis a freakin' break...(jeez, what's a guy gotta do to get some respect around this dump?)... t