Light Stand

michael_radika

Looking for some feedback on a good light stand I got $100 I want to spend on the stand.

It's something I want to use indoors and something they want to be able to take outside with me on shoot outside.

I would say probably wanted to support at least maybe 8 to 10 lb.

I bought a cheetah stand from Adorama camera for $94 and I don't like it at all. It's got very good reviews on Adorama but I find it very flimsy noisy I just don't care for it.

Just looking for a few recommendations from people that have used whatever Stands I'm open to suggestions.

In general what I've found is that among cheaper stands the higher a stand is designed to go, the sturdier it is, with a wider base stance. The only downside of this is that higher stands don't go as low, if that is important. In my studio I have a mix, but the heaviest setups (monolight/softbox, booms) go on (taking the Adorama title) Savage 13' Four-Section Heavy Duty Air-Cushioned Light Stand, 4 Section with 3 Risers, Black. These cost about $64.

If you found the Cheetah stand cheap, you probably won't like these, but they do the job. If you want something that isn't flimsy, noisy, and you just don't care for it, that will inevitably mean you throw Leica-type dollars at the task rather than just $100, I suspect.

You know the cheetah Stan is actually fairly stable it's the kind of stand where you don't have to pull the legs on you just push it on the ground in the legs drop but it's very noisy clanky and it kind of move side to side and it's only meant to support like five or six pounds it came with my Westcott 26 inch OCTA box as a kit so s so I can't really return it on its own so I'll just throw it up for sale and find another stand thanks for your input I'll look into those stands.

I have a couple Manfrotto (Calumet) 052B light stands. It holds a medium softbox and a strobe easily. It is not fancy, and gets the job done. Under $100 new, and far less used. There is a lot of this kind of equipment (grip) for sale on craigslist, particularly in southern California.
  • Like 1

Wilmarco Imaging

Wilmarco Imaging, on Flickr

wilmarcoimaging on Instagram

Well they seem pretty sturdy I a small Breeze is not going to blow it over now if I have a 60-inch umbrella on it yeah but just a small softbox a light Breeze is not going to blow it over but I do need to get some type of weight I probably just put my camera bag or something to keep it down I think I got an incredible deal surprisingly for the price that they are there pretty well-built stands.

In general what I've found is that among cheaper stands the higher a stand is designed to go, the sturdier it is, with a wider base stance. The only downside of this is that higher stands don't go as low, if that is important. In my studio I have a mix, but the heaviest setups (monolight/softbox, booms) go on (taking the Adorama title) Savage 13' Four-Section Heavy Duty Air-Cushioned Light Stand, 4 Section with 3 Risers, Black. These cost about $64.

If you found the Cheetah stand cheap, you probably won't like these, but they do the job. If you want something that isn't flimsy, noisy, and you just don't care for it, that will inevitably mean you throw Leica-type dollars at the task rather than just $100, I suspect.

So I picked up the Savage 13-foot stands wow are they heavy heavy duty for 63 bucks it's incredible how heavy duty these stands are.. you have a very very wide footprint a little bit on the heavy side to be taken outside on location but they look like they could withstand of pretty stiff breeze.

Sand bags on the legs.

If I had to do it over, I would get an air cushion stand. So that if I release the clamp too much, the head won't come crashing down, but be gradually lowered.

I just have to be careful when I adjust the height of the stand.

Yeah I have a couple Paul C buff stands that were actually pretty good but I bought them used in a couple of the Allen screws are stripped out so I returned them and somebody in this thread recommended this Savage they're extremely good and her air cushioned can't beat it for the price.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a variety of Manfrotto and Avenger 12' stands, which I use for audio recording in addition to photography. 8-10 pounds is a big load, so a stand with a 5/8" stud (mini) may not be safely used above head level. I have a couple of medium-duty stands with 1-1/8" sockets, which I can use up to 10'-12' with a 9 lb mono flash and soft box. Get at least one with a "lazy leg" for use in theaters with a sloping floor, or on steps. If you are in a traffic area, use sandbags on the base for stability.